• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Looking for IHC magneto photos, information

Colin Rush

Registered
I am trying to find a photo of a magneto. It is the Model R mag made by IHC and/or Accurate, as used on the Model M engines, and also the Moguls I believe. I would like also to find a photo of a Model L to compare with. I know a gentleman that thinks he may have an R that I need, but he is not sure how it is different than the L. I have one small photo of an L, but it is hard to see.

Also, if anyone can tell me, what is that little springy thing sticking up out of the front of the R mag? Other than that part, the R looks identical to the L. I have not been able to find anyone that knows what that does, and the IH parts book does not say.

I will be seeing the fellow with the mag on Friday, so I would like to have something to show him or tell him then. Thanks for any help you can offer.

J

JBailey

Re: Looking for magneto photos, information

Here's an IHC Type L.

Attachments

Harry

Administrator
Re: Looking for magneto photos, information

Here's the IHC version of the Model R. Did Accurate Engineering Company make them for IHC? (Disregard the pulley - this is a gear driven magneto.) That little springy thing you are referring to is the contact clip for the ignitor. Now, all I need is a Mogul. :shrug:

Attachments

Colin Rush

Registered
Gentlemen, that was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

In answer to Harry's question, I read on Bill Lopoulous' Magneto Parts site that IHC got into the mag biz when the Mogul and M engines were being produced by purchasing Accurate Engineering and rebadging. As time went on, they started making parts from pot metal instead of bronze, and changed from brass to aluminum nameplates. You can read about it here:

http://www.magnetoparts.com/ihc_mag.htm

They also repop the metal badges for both the Accurate and IHC mags in both brass and aluminum, so I figured I would get whatever I could find, have it reworked, and then just buy a new badge for it. They are relatively inexpensive, and look quite nice. Check them out here:

http://www.magnetoparts.com/mag_plates.htm

They also make the badges for the newer Wico mags, as well as the Motzinger Autosparker, which was used on the earlier IHC engines according to the same site.

Now I have this question: why would the R mag need a wire connector so much larger than the one the L used?

Colin Rush

Registered
I would say that the list, by calling them IHC, is referring to the Accurate mag made for IHC. I bet it is the same, and just add your gear. If you e-mail Mr. Lopoulous, I bet he could confirm that.

Magneto Parts also makes reproduction gears for the IHC M motors. I wonder if they would be the same as the Famous gear you need. I am know virtually nothing about that engine. However, if the part numbers are the same, then you should be in business. Here is the link to their mag gears page:

http://www.magnetoparts.com/mag_gears.htm

Maybe they would consider repopping the one you need if some other folks said they were interested. On the website, he makes mention of other gears coming this summer. I would contact him and ask. Hope this helps.