• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Low voltage

Yatabata

Registered
Have a old generac 5000 watt generator with what I believe to be a bad AVR. Question I have is can I replace it with a new version AVR? I see ones online but I would need to modify the connectors to work which I could do. Let me know if that would work. Thanks

Sounds like you're on the right track with the VR if you're seeing excitation voltage at the outlets.

Not sure if you'll be able to swap over to a different style of VR, I don't have a wiring diagram for that model of Gen to see if all the leads would be the same as a newer model.

Worst (or best) case, you may want to give Flight Systems a call or email and see what they'd have to say about rebuilding your board. They'd rebuilt a bunch of boards on a lot of different makes a models while I was at an old employer for a good price.

Yatabata

Registered
Sounds like you're on the right track with the VR if you're seeing excitation voltage at the outlets.

Not sure if you'll be able to swap over to a different style of VR, I don't have a wiring diagram for that model of Gen to see if all the leads would be the same as a newer model.

Worst (or best) case, you may want to give Flight Systems a call or email and see what they'd have to say about rebuilding your board. They'd rebuilt a bunch of boards on a lot of different makes a models while I was at an old employer for a good price.
I can rebuild it myself just need the schematic and components. I'll ask Flight Systems too. Thanks