• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Lucas Magneto ID

Jon Gregg

Registered
Hi, I`m new to Smokestak, so I hope this is the correct proceedure. I have acquired a Lucas Magneto, type ADL or AD1 92C and serial/part number 627. Driving it is a 44 tooth cog w/advance drive dog built into it. I`m looking for the outlet plastic/Bakerlite lead connection and I believe it holds a carbon brush. Can anyone perhaps ID and take an guess what its from?
Thanks Jon Gregg South Australia.

jayvee

Registered
Hi Jon,
I am not familiar with this magneto. Any chance of a pic or 2 so we may be able to help out just a little bit better?

Give Maggyman a try:
magnetoeightyeight (88) at (@) bigpond dot com or on his mobile
zero four two eight one six zero three two two. He might be able to help

Hope this helps.
Best wishes, jayvee

Craig Gillingham

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/04/2017
It sounds like it's an AD1 magneto; they date from the 1920's and were one of the first magnetos Lucas made. If it is, the lead-out will look a bit like this one?

Attachments

Jon Gregg

Registered
The photo from Craig Gillingham is correct. Mine is in a very fine condition but for the missing HT "fitting". I guess finding a suitable replacement is going to be a stretch...I can possibly fabricate one. Craig, would you send me a detailed measurement ie., head and shoulder to base plus carbon pick up width.
Thanks for all members help. Regards Jon.

Craig Gillingham

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/04/2017
Jon, I think I sold that magneto a long time ago (sorry). However, I believe the Thompson-Bennett AD1 magneto is very similar, if not the same. I have a theory that Lucas took over the making of T-B magnetos. I'll check a couple of books tonight. Reproduction lead-outs used to be available in Europe, I'm not sure if they still are, but I'll have a look.

UPDATE:, I found the website, they are 13EUR from this place. I'll check to see if they are the same.
https://magnetopartszurich.jimdo.com/gallery/

Attachments

Jon Gregg

Registered
Hi Craig, Yes, the HT pick up is available ex EU., I have been dealing with Maggyman over some doggy coils...so I have asked him to procure one. I also have a 3HP IHC it also has a "wierd maggy" it`s a Libery DU6 ED18 on a matched sprocket to crankshaft...it doesn`t look original. I can see a EK base with missing advance/retard lever as I would like to return the old girls to originality, is there someone in Aussie where one can source missing bits?
I am doing a ground up restoration on the 1.5/3 M`s and my Olds-Seager 3A 4.5 HP. The Olds has a (I think)a International 6 HP Mixer but is really great condition with the complete trip Assembly..it does run.
Anyway you are the most knowledgeable chap that i`ve so-far met on this site, so, if you want to offer any suggestions, then I`d be greatful. Cheers Jon.

cobbadog

Registered
I have had a couple of dealings with the Maggyman and he has been brilliant to deal with and a great product.

May be worth while to start a new thread here for the missing bits you are after. Some members only visit infrequently and they just might be the ones to supply or a shed clean out often turns up odd bits n pieces.

Craig Gillingham

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/04/2017
Jon, a DU6 is definitely the wrong magneto. I don't know much about Wico EK's, although there are a lot on this forum that will. If Maggyman has trouble finding a Lucas pick-up, I know someone in the UK that possibly might have one.

Jon Gregg

Registered
Hi Craig, Thanks for your reply and offer, I`ll keep it in mind. I did ask Maggyman to order me the pick-up...so just waiting.
On another note, I 'Bare-boned' the 1.5 M. I`m in the process of making valves and lining the valve guides with K Liners. The big end looks like it has been in the wars... 12 thou out on starboard side from center...regrind job and if the Babbitt bearing replacements aren`t available then I`ll just to make some...what joy. I`m hoping the 3HP M is just a head/valve job. Anyway cheers and thanks again for you imput Jon.