• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE in your location!

lucky so far with the ice storm

armandh

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2010
power has been blinking but off only about 10 seconds at the longest
the generator is ready. the gas cans full. fingers crossed

Attachments

armandh

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2010
I remember one of those rare summer snow storms in Hawaii.
not much of summer even for august at 13,600 ft elevation.

Billy J Shafer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/03/2019
Good luck not much down in my part of Texas but rain. They say we should have ice by sunday night.

Jesse Zilafro

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Armandh:
You'll be getting more freezing rain tonight.. So this time tomorrow let us know if you are still lucky. :D
Jesse Z.

armandh

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2010
did not have to wait long for just a few more limbs to take down the power some where. 3:30 AM

as I write this the generator 1s buzzing allong sucking fresh gasoline but the lights are on, as well as everything else. it is only connected for 12 KW of the 17.5 KW rated capacity as the manufacturer is noted for some fluf in the ratings and it's biggest outlet is 50A

my breaker interlock functioned as envisioned "so as to prevent the inadvertent interconnection of normal and alternate sources of supply in any operation of the transfer equipment." [from the NEC 702-b]

just 3 trips to the gas station to fill the tank. [note to self...get more cans fot the house] there were more cans in the tractor shed but a tree limb blocked the way. [since removed] power outtages noted on the trips are spotty.

armandh

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2010
more limbs to remove from the drive to the barn/tractor shed
and another 5 gal of gasoline in the generator.
the batteries that back up the cable system have gone flat line.
changed from the router/switch my son has on the cable modem to the backup DSL [came with the package and was in total $10 less than what I was paying with the old ATT] If I could get my son to forgo the difference between 3K and 2.5K I could save another 40. I am looking forward, this spring is his last college semester.... [free,free, thank God free at last]
well; one can hope. looking forward to the power coming back on too, and envying my pal who I helped put in a Natural Gas powered backup. he has no trips to the gas station.

Doogdoog

Registered
Aloha Armandh,
How were you able to get gas? Did the gas station have backup power? I would think natural gas would be the ideal fuel as long as the source has backup power to keep the pressure up. What is the price of natural gas compared to gasoline? I would think that having two gen's, one on natural gas and one or gasoline or diesel for backup in case the natural gas (or gen) gives trouble. Well, I'll give you another good luck.

Mahalo,
doogdoog

J

John G. Simpson

Armand.
we haven't any ice here in west plains, yet. don't envy you at all. i haven,t got around to hooking up my genset. 10 kw diesel powered.
hope you get power soon.
john

armandh

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2010
lots of gas stations open even at 3AM
the outtages are more residential due to falling tree limbs.
the main feeders and the the main streets are mostly lit.

and it is not just the one limb that killed the 24 house string we are on
but 6 or 7 more since then [on our string] to find and fix.
the power is on across the street
it is just spotty about 50% service outtages

armandh

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2010
looks like we are in for a long outtage
I hooked up the second generator a 7200 watt kohler K series powered homelite.
it is at the tractor shed and is powering the barn and an extension to the guest house [brother in law and nephew] enough to run the frig furnace and lights.