• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Lunkenheimer Mars Oiler

Bill Hazzard

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/28/2008
I don't know what engines used them originally but your Webster should have a Ruby on it.

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
I think the early Hamilton engines used a Mars but not the style you have. They used the early style which looked like a Banner but has a glass center section. Rob

MFaris

Registered
Hi Bill, I realize the Webster should have a Ruby but the Mars just looks too good on it! :shrug:

Rob do you have any pictures of the older style Mars that you could add to the thread?

Brian Triebner

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2019
Buddy in Ohio has a horizontal side shaft Perkins that has a Mars on it, thinks it is original.

Last edited:

MFaris

Registered
Not sure how many of you noticed this nice Mars #3 sell on Ebay today, it brought $565.55. Compared to past sales I don't think it was a bad deal.
s-l1600 (42).jpgs-l1600 (41).jpgs-l1600 (40).jpg
*Photos borrowed from Ebay

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
That version is the last style of Mars oiler.could be as new as the 1920's. Oiler prices have been coming down. Mars oilers used to bring about a grand but have been dropping over the last 10 years.

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
I saw it on there. One almost identical to it sold about a month ago for about the same amount. Oilers have taken a substantial decline in value over the last dozen to 15 years. Those Mars oilers would have brought $800 back then.

I think much of this is due to the internet, eBay and other online sales sites. Every person who has an old Oiler sitting on a shelf, found in the barn or shed and so on now has a way to reach an audience with interest. As a result a lot of oilers are on the market.

A Lonergan Oiler used to be almost impossible to find and when you did a cylinder size Oiler would cost $500. You can find them on eBay for $300 or less now.

Last edited: