• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Lyndes patent gas plant info wanted

benz1890

Registered
Last Subscription Date
Mike White
I have a the remains of a Lyndes patent gas plant. This plant would have produced gas from petrol (gasoline) and used a small Robinson hot air engine and roots blower to pressureise the gas.
I believe that most of the pipework is there but I`m missing the engine and blower. I have already located the correct size of hot air engine but I have no idea about the Roots blower. Can anyone help?
Mike

BTurney

Registered
yes, it appears to be, it would have to rotors in the cast iron housing with most likely three impellers on each rotor that engage each other in opposite directions to pump air just like a blower on an older Detroit Diesel Engine

benz1890

Registered
Last Subscription Date
Mike White
Any idea where to find one of these blowers? Are Roots still active?
Mike

benz1890

Registered
Last Subscription Date
Mike White
Hi Anton,
It`s good to hear from you!!!! Thanks for another good Nuenen, hopefully I`ll put the Benz forward in the workshop and bring it to you next year. Are you going to Dorset this year? I`m taking my steam roller there this year, maybe I`ll see you there.
Mike

benz1890

Registered
Last Subscription Date
Mike White
Hi again,
I've brought this thread up again as I would like to attempt to get this set running and would like any input to help get it going.Hopefully I'll get it going and take it to Nuenen next year.
I have managed to get a Robinson hot air engine and a blower. The only problem with the blower is that it turns the wrong way to pump the air the right way, hopefully this can be resolved!!
Here are a few photos to get you interested!!
Mike.

benz1890

Registered
Last Subscription Date
Mike White
Here are a few more adverts for the gas producer, one from Australia. I now have the patent for it, I'll scan and post if anyone is interested.
Mike.

benz1890

Registered
Last Subscription Date
Mike White
Patent No 8315 A.D.1907

I couldn't wait,I had the time now!
It's interesting reading if you have the time. You'll have to start at the bottom and work yourselves up the page!
Mike.