• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

MacDonald Super Imperial Diesel

cobbadog

Registered
Not such a silly idea there Scotty. I ahve a picture of what it should look like on the work computer so will dig it out tomorrow. But that would be close to the size. Wont be one here being diabetic so will find a Fat Cow down the road and see if she will part with one.
Fat Cow is sister inlaw.
I was tinkering with the beginning of the turntable late today and the timber axle support then a customer arrived and that was the end of play time.
Initial basic design for want of a better description is to just attach a flat steel plate about 3mm thick to the underside of the timber rails and one of those cross members then let the timber ax;e support rub against that plate for turning. AS we wont be doing laps of the showgrounds I think this idea should be good enough, I can't see any need for Radial Tune Suspenders here.
Any thoughts?

cobbadog

Registered
Todays effort got me this far.
Welded the centre pivot bolt to the plate. Drilled and counter sunk the screw holes to fix to the transporter rails, made some saddles to hold the axles in place where I have routered the cross beam to recess the axles and finished all the welding on the axles. 20200305_145007.jpg20200307_090154.jpg20200307_133935.jpg

cobbadog

Registered
Today I got the front end finished and bolted on. Turntable seems to be ok and has plenty of turning circle for when the 'fat pig' is bolted down. All cross members have been plated and bolted and axles are bolted firmly in place just need some more coach bolts to hold the rear cross member onto the rails. This thing weighs a ton as is so it shouldn't break in a hurry.

Looking for ideas of the best way to attach a steering handle, any ideas out there? 20200308_135644.jpg20200308_140128.jpg20200308_140546.jpg

cobbadog

Registered
Now for one of those silly dumb arse questions. It was suggested that when I mount one of these bloody heavy deep sea anchors that I put the heavy end over the rear axle and I agree anything to help keep the steering light.
But which end of these around 400kg engines is the heavy end. Think about it, yes one end has 2 solid flywheels and a crankcase but the other has the cylinder, head, fuel tank and all that injector set up which also would add up.

Scotty 2

Registered
With the length of your handle I don't think it would make much difference Cobba. Darryl has a good idea with the bit of pipe as a centre of gravity finder.
Personally I'd be putting the injector end towards the handle. That way you can't back the 'easy to break end' into something in the shed and break it. You can keep an eye on the fragile parts with front facing forward.
The flywheel end on those McDonalds would be a lot harder to break.

Cheers Scott

cobbadog

Registered
Thank you everyone for the replies, this was the way I first thought of mounting it, with the head towards the handle. Again I managed to make the transporter just long enough to fit inside the overall length of the rails. I think that one flywheel will be sitting out wide on one side as these things are built with an offset. One flywheel sits further out from the engine block than the other. I might be able to make a start tomorrow trying to get it out from under the house if not Friday is the day as Snowy has to have anew hood lining installed, bloody fabric had falling away from the sponge and it hangs down in spots and is upsetting me no end.