• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Machining Castings

Manorfarmdenton

Registered
Here are some photos of the valves being finshed, showing the little cermet tip that works well on the stainless. I used it on the brass valve spring retaining washer too, as shown being parted off in the final photo. Incidentally, the stuff you can see round the base of the portion of the head that enters the cylinder is the remains of the superglue that I used to locate the head while drilling the stud holes. I had forgotten that I hadnt cleaned it off until I saw the photos! John.

Attachments

DAKOTA567

Registered
Yeah, I always forget something small like the glue, and this video is it going on youtube or somewhere else?
Andrew.

Manorfarmdenton

Registered
Hi Andrew. I'll make a vid of it if I ever get it finished to a standard where it will run! I started to machine the keyways in the crankshaft this afternoon and got a little way in and then broke the slot drill. That'll teach me to be heavy-handed, but the end mill I use most on jobs is 20 mm, and they don't break that easily! John.