• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Mag. help (Bosch)

Roger Kirschenman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/11/2013
This little fairbanks Z # 396180 came with an american Bosch AB33 LD-1 mounted on it. Can it be made to work? It has no spark now. I was told the AB33 would not work on a spark plug :confused: Any help to clear this up for me? :cool:

Attachments

Dick Welty

Registered
Re: Mag. help

Roger the AB33 is the correct mag for the early throttle governed Fairbanks Morse 1 1/2 hp Z engine. I restored one just like yours about 20 years ago and I still have the original AB34 that came off of that engine. the 33 and 34 are pretty much identical. I was told that the wire in them is very fine and that they are hard to rewind. I recomend that you find a good mag man to work on it unless you have some experience with mags.

My advise is always free and free advise is worth what you pay for it. Dick

Attachments

Jim Tremble

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2016

I was told the AB33 would not work on a spark plug :confused: Any help to clear this up for me?
Roger

I have a Z 1-1/2 HP WITH an AB33 mag. It is a high tension mag and does fire the the spark plug. Who ever told you that, does not know what they are talking about.

Try cleaning the points. This may solve your problem.

Hope this is of help,

Jim

Andrew Albrecht

Last Subscription Date
11/03/2013

My 1921 Fairbanks 1-1/2 Z Sparkplug model also came with a Bosch AB-33 Mag. Why would they make it if it didn't work.

Jim Tremble

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2016

Andrew Albrecht said:
Why would they make it if it didn't work.
Andy

I agree with you. the AB33 was a good mag as far as I have found. I have found the most problems with them is the cleaning of the points.

After that, they work fine.

Jim

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015

The AB33 uses pretty much the same armature that ALL the Robert Bosch mags use which carry the coil AND condensor in the armature. If points setting doesn't do the trick it's most likely the coil although on rare occassions it's the condensor. When they're hot they're hot---when they're not they're expensive........................ :eek:

Don't overlook the magnets!!! I have found them to be PIGS to juice 'em up again but it CAN make the difference.

Last edited: