• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Magneto Fundamentals Book - Fairbanks Morse Co

ListerDiesel

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
10/24/2016
We've spent a few hours spare time scanning an interesting book by Fairbanks-Morse & Co., called "Magneto Fundamentals".

It is a 64-page large format booklet that was issued to all their dealers within the master service manuals, and it is very interesting and informative, especially if you want to understand the basics of the different types of magneto.

We have been meaning to do this for some time but couldn't find a block of time to get it all done, but splitting it over two days has seen it all completed.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/PetrolStuff/MagFmBook.htm

We hope that you will all find it to be useful and of interest.

Peter

Rick Strobel

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2011
Peter;

Thanks much for taking the time and effort! Lots of good info in there.

And most of all for sharing....."You Da Man."

RickinMt. :wave:

Lisa Johnson

Registered
Hi Peter.........

Thank you so much for putting ALL this information on your website. I downloaded and printed it and working through it like a school book. Thanks so much!! With the RV mag info you provided and now this I'll be a Mag expert when I'm all through.........

Your effort is well appreciated....... Thank You

Lisa Johnson :)

BWegher

Registered
Excellent in every way. Clear diagrams and schematics.
I have a 1966 copy that is identical, except has a Colt Industries logo on page 1. Mine uses red to highlight the significant info in most diagrams.

ListerDiesel

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
10/24/2016
BWegher said:
Excellent in every way. Clear diagrams and schematics.
I have a 1966 copy that is identical, except has a Colt Industries logo on page 1. Mine uses red to highlight the significant info in most diagrams.
It is surprising how many owners/incarnations F-M went through over the years. The last copies that I have are marked up as Fairbanks-Whitney, which I presume is after the Colt Industries period.

The earlier copy you mention is also in one of our sets of info, slightly clearer as well in my view than the later one.

We were asked off-list why we had done this in black and white and in separate pages, rather than a single pdf file (for example)

The main reasons were that the info would be more difficult to rip off and sell on ebay. Harry mentioned to me that he had a nice set of stuff 'stolen' for want of a better word, and we have seen the same, so we try and make it as accessible as possible for genuine engine guys but not so attractive for the thieves.

We have a lot more coming, should be up to 5000 pages by the summer...

Peter

ListerDiesel

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
10/24/2016
Jim McIntyre said:
Well done, Peter. Your website keeps getting better and better.
Thanks, Jim, we are very pleased that it has been of interest to a lot of people here, and hope to have more of the same coming up.

Regards,

Peter

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2019
Is anyone else having trouble with the link to the fundimentals book. i cannot get it to work.
Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Dustin Ehli:shrug:

ListerDiesel

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
10/24/2016
Dustin D Ehli said:
Is anyone else having trouble with the link to the fundimentals book. i cannot get it to work.
Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Dustin Ehli:shrug:
Hi Dustin:

We had a major revamp of the site and menuing last weekend, and a couple of things are different now. Direct link for the book is below, but if you ever get lost, go through the main menu you can find most things quickly.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Magnetos/MagFmBook.htm

or through the Main menu page > Magnetos > Magneto Service 2 > Magneto Fundamentals (top right hand side of that menu)

We had to break up the PetrolStuff section as it was getting too large to handle, so it has been split into

Magnetos/Carburettors/Old Carbs/Seals/Spark Plugs, each with its own icon on the main menu.

Peter

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2019
Thanks very much peter, it works now, lots of good information. keep up the good work.

Dustin Ehli:wave:

ListerDiesel

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
10/24/2016
Dustin D Ehli said:
Thanks very much peter, it works now, lots of good information. keep up the good work.

Dustin Ehli

Glad to hear it is being useful.

Have put up some more American Bosch manuals yesterday and today and revamped the AB menu page to make room for the new additions.

Peter