• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Make and Brake Igniter contacts

Scott Bartlett

Registered
I have a FM JJ headless 1hp. I can only get a very weak yellow spark from the ingiter. THe contact are almost gone and I was wondering what material to use to replace the contacts. Also long should the new contact be?

Joe Morris

Registered
Scott, The best thing that I have ever found is a common nail. And the points need to be about the thickness of a nail head. Soft metal like a nail will arc better than hardend steel. Your weak spark could be something other than the points. Your magnets may need charging ,or there could be a short in the system before the current gets to the points . What kind of magneto or low tension coil are you useing? If points are made too long they will stay together too long before they open and most of the fire from the magneto and the " snap " from the spring is gone. this is more important when useing a magneto than when running on a battery and low tension coil. I hope this will help a little. Good luck in a good hobby, Joe Morris

Scott Bartlett

Registered
Joe,

I appreciate you input. I will give the nail a try and see what happens. As for the coil, I'm using a 6 volt coil from a tractor. I have info on how to buils one and will give that a try as well. Thanks again Scott Bartlett

Joe Morris

Registered
Scott. Thanks for your reply. You might have better results useing a coil from a car , the older type tall, round ones and a 12 volt battery. Thats what has worked well for me many times. I am running a six horse F M style H useing an auto coil and a 12 volt battery. Of coarse a hand made low tension coil would be good. Joe Morris

Kevin Davis

Registered
Scott: Sounds to me like you're using a high tension coil where a low tension coil should be, or am I missing something? I've never heard of running an ignitor on a car type or a buzzcoil. Kevin in Nova Scotia.

Joe Morris

Registered
Kevin Davis said:
Scott: Sounds to me like you're using a high tension coil where a low tension coil should be, or am I missing something? I've never heard of running an ignitor on a car type or a buzzcoil. Kevin in Nova Scotia.
The car coils work fine , you just don't use the center , or coil wire post.

Joe Morris

Registered
Benny Mckheean said:
How to you fasten the points to the ignitor?
In most all ignitors I have ever replaced the points in they had to be braded in on the back side or center punched to swell them for a good tight fit. and of coarse they usually have to have the back side ground or filed off to remove them. the only ignitor that I have ever seen that makes replacing points easy is on the two Gilsons that I have. Each point is held in the ignitor with a very small set screw. Joe Morris