• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Markon LC 28 D / LC28D - any info?

Jelo

Registered
Hi all

I have recently bought a wind turbine from the early 80ies with a Markon LC 28D generator. It is meant to heat water through a submerged heating element in a storage tank. Now I am renovating the whole machine but I have a problem with the generator because I don't have any specifications on it.

The turbine is really of an older wind mill design - see it here

In the rebuild we are changing it from facing the wind and regulating by the tail to getting the wind from behind and regulating by angle of attack of the blades. With this more safe way of regulating I am curious if I can set it to a higher max output. It is specified to 10 kW but I know of another rebuild where the output has been boosted to 11 kW with the same generator.

Does anyone have papers on this generator and would be kind enough to get them to me somehow? A scan is great - don't need actual paper ;)

Thanks in advance.

Jeppe Locht
Denmark

Roland Hayes

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/11/2016
Hi, welcome to this forum. Private Message me an email address and I'll send you a scanned copy of my original Markon manual titled, 'MARKON self exiting, self regulating, revolving armature AC generators Type LC & LCS 19 - 32'. This manual has all the info you need.

If anyone else wants the scan of this Markon manual PM me an email address

Last edited:

Jelo

Registered
Hi, welcome to this forum. Private Message me an email address and I'll send you a scanned copy of my original Markon manual titled, 'MARKON self exiting, self regulating, revolving armature AC generators Type LC & LCS 19 - 32'. This manual has all the info you need.
Great! Thank you. I have sent a PM. This forum is the best.

Jelo

Registered
I got the book and it is very useful. Thank you Roland :D However - I would still like the Markon factory specifications for this generator and they are not in the book.

Who knows what effect this generator is rated at and if it can be boosted say by better cooling?

Thank you in advance.

Best
Jeppe Locht

Jim Rankin

Registered
Usually the re-rate is a result of using higher class (heat) rated insulation when one is rewound. Occasionally with something really old, the insulation on new wire is significantly thinner than the old, so there's more room in the slots which can be filled with larger size wire etc.