• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Marmon Chicago Co. lighting plant

David Parfitt

Registered
I bought the remains of a lighting plant yesterday which has a New-Way vertical air-cooled engine mounted on a base marked "The Marmon Chicago Co." (see photos below). It spent its working life here in south-west England, but I've no idea how it got here. I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about the Marmon Chicago Co. and perhaps supply some pictures of a complete unit that would help with restoration? Also, if anyone knows where I could obtain a suitable generator and switchboard that would be of great help too. I will get some better photos of my engine when we unload it, but you might be able to make out the large (Kingston?) carburettor that is fitted.

Many thanks

David

Attachments

Dale Burkman

Registered
David I have a MARCO lighting plant 1500 watt built in the 1920's{this is the Trade name used by the Marmon company}. It is complete except for the chain guard. I can send some pictures. Send me your E- Mail address and other information you may need on this plant. Dale

David Parfitt

Registered
Just giving this a bump... I talked to a New-Way collector at Rollag in 2011 who mentioned that a Marco lighting plant minus the engine was sold at auction in the Eastern US a few years before. I would obviously be very interesting in locating and perhaps purchasing this if possible, so if anyone can give me any leads I would greatly appreciate it!

Many thanks

David

P.S. Dale, thanks for the reply, and glad I was able to make contact with you!

Axtion Jim S

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
I have received as a gift from a good friends estate, It has been taken apart and cleaned. I would like to reassemble this engine, but I have no idea what if any thing is missing, other than the switch pannel.The only photo I can find is in the Big Yellow Book page 290. Any help out their.:)

GeorgeC

Registered
David,
Just uploaded another Marmon/ Marco 16 page document into the New Way Library yesterday and thought you and others may be interested. It relates to the CH New Way engine not the "F" series New Way that was used with earlier Marco Power and lighting plants.

The whole brochure solidly promotes both their lighting plant and the New Way Engine with key engine and plant specifications provided.

Here is the library link

The actual document is in the brochure group titled as "Marco Power Station"

Cheers
George