• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Marshall, Illinois auction

KG1584

Subscriber
Re: Marshall, Ill auction next weekend

Casemaker

I plan on attending to see how the KG thresher does. Knowles said the thresher is 32"x??

I aksed the auctioneer about the engine(inspection, etc) and told it is sold as is. I do not have a UT but if someelse had one and could check it that would be great. I would LOVE to have a 28 Minnie but not in the cards by myself. :mad:

If you are going te be there I will probably have a dekalb hat and old carhartt jacket( of course what farmer for 100 miles does not have that) - look me up

Doug

Joe Martin

My brother and I will both be there. I am interested to see what the Minnie goes for mainly to get an idea what market value for our 24 would be. Honestly, we would like to take a shot at the binder, but we've both got enough money and time committments tied into the 24 and a hay press that we are restoring. We will both most likely be interested on-lookers and dreamers. I have spoken with someone who has seen the engine already and says its not the best but also not the worst.

See ya!!:wave:

FWurth

One Millionth Post

My dad and I went and looked at the engine in January. For all who may be looking at the post who are unfamiliar with Minneapolis engines, the boiler is a wet bottom boiler. The auctioneer allowed us to remove the bottom hand holes on the back of the boiler and the hand hole in the front flue sheet to get a look inside (he was curious too.)

The boiler has about 6 inches of dried mud packing the bottom. There is some thinning of the front flue sheet and corrosion of the rivet heads on the lower portion of the sheet. This will need attention in the near future if not before it will pass inspection.

The gearing and engine appear to be in good shape. I did not see a gauge or whistle and do not remember if they are there.

That is all we could see without an ultrasound.

J Nasman

According to the engine serial number, it was built in 1916, not 1923 as stated in the auction ad. It appears to be an American 28 HP. The Canadian 28 HP had 30" wide rear wheels (instead of 26") and had a reinforcing ring in the inside of the rear wheel along the outside edge (which this one does not have). Jim.

Jim Thistle

Marshall, IL Auction

Any "stakers" out there record the prices from the Knowles sale in Marshall, IL today? The traction engine, separator, or gas engines? What about that BIG Lunk. whistle. Boy, it sure was a COLD morning!! Thanks:wave:

StmEngn

Re: Marshall, IL Auction

heres some numbers

steamer 20,100
seperator 2,400 i think
model t 5,100
big whistel 3,000
ar john deere 45,000 something
these are close numbers i didnt write anything down

StmEngn

big whistle 3,000
binders under 500
f 12 or 14 with cultivator 2,700
high wheel wagon 900 something

J Nasman

Minneapolis 28 HP Steam Engine - $ 21,000 (guy from Rockford, Ill. bought it)
John Deere AR Tractor ser. no. 250,000 (first AR built) $ 42,500 (auctioneer was asking for 45,000 - didn't get it)

M

mank10

How big was the LUNK??? Does anyone have the internet listing of the sale?? Just curious as to what was there. Thanks!! Mank