• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Master Mechanic MFG

harleyvetteman

Registered
I just inherited a World Power Division, Master Mechanic Mfg, 2200 watt generator, Model EST, Serial 78F.

Looking for any information I can get about this generator.... Value?

Date of production?

Thanks in advance!

By the way, it is powered by a Tecumseh H6 engine. My guess is it was made in the 60's or 70's.

oldproff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/03/2013
I do not know any thing about your gen set. But welcome to the stak. Someone will know something about it. Bill K

Wayne 440

Registered
A picture or two might help. There were many companies selling private label sets back then, if you bought a truckload or two, you could get any name you wanted on them.

Lloyd H

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
Just a guess could the serial number be a date code 78F ie. 78 = 1978 F = June

Randy.ab9go

Registered
There were many companies selling private label sets back then, if you bought a truckload or two, you could get any name you wanted on them.
That still holds true for any Chinesse product. I was told by a direct importer the minimum was two containers. He was importing ATV's and motor cycles.

Randy AB9GO

harleyvetteman

Registered
This genset had been sitting for several years. So when I got it, first thing I did was pull the bowl off of the carb. Bowl gasket fell apart, bowl was fairly clean. Got a bowl gasket/ needle and seat kit and a new spark plug, installed and tried to crank. Had fire, but no luck cranking. Sounded like a valve was probably stuck. Pulled head cover, lots of carbon, clean combustion chamber and valve area, torqued head cover bolts and tried again. Engine started and ran good for 2 minutes. In that 2 minutes, generator was not producing. Checked fire when engine shut down, NO FIRE. Pulled flywheel found a very old POINTS style ignition. Went to my favorite small engine shop and purchased points and condenser. Found online where folks who have generators that sit up and dont produce can be re-excited with a power drill by plugging into generator, holding trigger, and spinning drill chuck. Installed new condenser, cleaned old points (still looked great), made sure points were set to factory .020 gap, reinstalled flywheel. Cranked and ran great but still not producing. Tried the power drill excite trick and whaaa laaaa!!! Generator runs great and puts out 121 volt with a 5,000 btu A/C load.!!!!!