• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Materials Cost

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
just currious, what are material cost in your area? there is one business here that sells paint and he has over the past 10 years bought out all of his competition. he was carrying dupont/ nason. paint has gotten Insane here price wise! $800+ for a gallon of base, thats no clear, no hardner, no activator, no primer just the base coat!:rant::rant::rant:

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
Re: materials cost

I know I got a estimate on getting my short bed 91 F150 painted.It is red. This was in 2008 or so. 3000 dollars.And there is NO dents to fix. Still aint but he said the other day it would be closer to 4500 to do it.
To me,that is ridiculas.
If Maaco can paint a car for 299.What are they spraying on it? water colors? I have heard the prep work is where they stink the worse as they paint chrome and all.
Rustoleum paint jobs are all over Youtube and for a couple of my old rides, I would be happy with a good slick paint job of rustoleum.But not on my grandpals truck.I would like to have it right.It has a single stage on it now,factory paint,woulda lasted longer had I kept it in a shed.I would be happy with single stage and build a shed.But I can't locate a body shop that will use it.

J.B. Castagnos

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2006

In 2005 I was fixing a gray 03 Chevy for my son, a red 04 for me. Bought 2 pints of paint, gray was $85, red was $125, same paint same store, they say red pigments are more expensive.

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Any chance of buying online for less? I had to order some Hammerite paint a few years back, nobody carried the mid-green color, it was cheaper than locally, but did have a hazmat fee tacked onto shipping.

Ray Cardoza

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/13/2010

the 2 places that were near me seem to have closed up. could get most of what you would need. but now i've found a few online places but they have the hazmat fee's or i go with rust oleum if they have the right color. ordered some self etch primer for 30 bucks a quart off amazon. :bonk:

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019

keep the info coming guys & gals!!!! rustoleum is good for alot of things, but not so good on your daily driver! although it may very well come to that at these prices!!!!

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019

Over the last few years here's where I've bought automotive paint. You can purchase in pints, quarts, gallons or if you just have a small spot to do you can purchase it from them in aerosol spray cans. I've bought several of these from them when I've just painted a tailgate, fender, etc. I've been very pleased with their color match. Their paint is a base coat / clear coat. You spray the base coat to give the panel the color you want and then clear coat it to get the shine. I've clear coated, wet sanded with 1000 grit then buffed and have had some great results with the shine and gloss of the repaired panel.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp

cobbadog

Registered
I just paid AU$480.00 for 4litres of 2pac (just under your gallon) and 2 litres of hardener plus 5 litres of thinners so it sounds as if I did well on the deal.
As for Rustoleum, I use to use it a lot in the pressure pack cans and that handy trigger action. But over time I found that the gloss black would loose it's gloss and look more satin finish and this is on a restored tractor that is stored under a carport but gets no direct sunlight on it at all. Then the last 4 or 5 cans would leak around the trigger and cause more of a mess than I liked so I stopped buying the product and went to Rust Guard but today I was told that I should try the Kill Rust brand as it has been standing up very well in full sun positions so I will also give that a go.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
havent tried tractor paint, may give it a whirll my tractor hood needs a paint job.

DCAmp

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/17/2020
A couple people told me they used the tractor paint and then used a clear coat on top. One tractor is at shows I go to for the last 4 - 5 years and it still looks great. My Farmall C I painted with just tractor paint and it is fading after just to years.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
I have been thinking, I drove a fuel truck that was painted blue and i think it was single stage enamel. it got to looking ratty and the boss had me wash it and then wax it on a slow day. the wax job made it look new again! yes it sucked doing it, alot of elbow grease involved but it sure made a improvment. I have come to the conclusion it dont matter what clear coat you use it ALL peels eventually. may go back to enamel and wax. going to take some relearning though base/ clear is easier and more forgiving but has become cost prohibitive.......