• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Maytag 72 Crankshaft

ajs2001tx

Registered
How hard is this steel?

In order to fix these threads I am thinking about sqauring off the broken end in the lathe and then drill and tap and put in a stud with a healthy dose of locktite. Anyone try this already?

A new crank is going to be around $100 to my door and my time is worthless (or priceless:O). So it's worth a try since this crank is useless.

Thanks

Attachments

Oilzum

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/19/2019
Seen that fix done several times, seems to work pretty good too. Do you have the broken piece of the crank, I have had success TIG welding the pieces back together.:wave:

ajs2001tx

Registered
No I don't still have it. That would have made the most sense but it is long gone.

I would like take a TIG class at some point. Can people really weld gum wrapper foil together?

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
If you've got access to a lathe, those have been repaired many many times drilling them and tapping and using all thread to replace the broken piece. It's an easy fix with the proper equipment.

fire96

Registered
I do not want to send this thread in another direction, but has anyone had any luck trying to straighten a bent shaft on the flywheel end?

grub54891

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2010
Fire96,
Depend's how and where it's bent.I suppose it's possible but there is the danger of it having an unseen crack,it could break under power and create severe damage or an injury.If it's twisted you'll never get it timed right.I had a buddy that bought an old rider,never could get it right.found out that the previos owner said he straightend the crank.No wonder he sold it!! it was a pos from then on.Tom

Oilzum

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/19/2019
I do not want to send this thread in another direction, but has anyone had any luck trying to straighten a bent shaft on the flywheel end?
I would tend to believe that this is how the majority of them get broken:eek:. Are you sure the crank is bent? I have had bent flywheels that acted like bent cranks on the twins.:headbang:

Oilzum

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/19/2019
Is it bent by the threads or the taper? The cranks on the 72 are pretty brittle, since it is not a high horsepower motor I would probably try heat with a v block and a press and just go at it real slow. Whatever you do do not strike it, even with a soft metal mallet the likelyhood of you breaking it is pretty high. Luckily, they are still pretty plentiful.
Good Luck.

Big Boose

Registered
I also have a bent model 72 crank. It locks up with new bushings..Machinist said nearly .025 at the flywheel end. He is attempting to straighten, but afraid it may break or at least crack. Anyone havea good one for sale? Thanks