• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Maytag 92, Practical contemporary applications?

Twodogs

Registered
Hi folks. i'm new to the fold. Just picked up a 92 and have ordered a few parts to get it started. It needs a plug and plug wire, minimum. After that, who knows? I'm focused on getting it running first, then overhauling followed by complete restoration.

SN #320843. Curious if anyone can identify the year for me and any other info the SN might reveal.

My big question is what practical contemporary applications have you seen for the engine?

On Youtube, I have seen one power an ice cream maker and a grinding wheel.Haven't seen much else.

I'm a blacksmith and woodworker. I have a primitive blacksmith forge with no electricity and see a couple of possible uses if I can rig them up: Belt grinder, a home brew power hacksaw, and if powerful enough, a sort of mini dragsaw. That last one may be too much to hope for.

I'm especially interested to hear of real examples of people using them for metal or woodworking, but would love to hear some other practical creative uses.

Thanks,

Jeff

DSCF1766.jpg

EvilDr235

Registered
Reel in the big ones. Power a table saw or drill press. Pump water or home made generator. Home made submarine or airplane. It's been done. Go cart or mini bike. Power a rocket to the International Space Station. Wood or metal lathe. Heavy duty pencil sharpener. Death Star. Air compressor. Golf cart. Robot.

Twodogs

Registered
A small box fan is always welcome in the warmer months
Good idea for an outdoor forge in Texas.

---------- Post added at 12:34:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29:08 AM ----------

hook it up to run a blower to force air into your forge
I have a hand crank blower that had the option of a pulley, but I have it because it's quiet. i want to keep noise to a minimum when forging.

---------- Post added at 12:43:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34:43 AM ----------

Reel in the big ones. Power a table saw or drill press. Pump water or home made generator. Home made submarine or airplane. It's been done. Go cart or mini bike. Power a rocket to the International Space Station. Wood or metal lathe. Heavy duty pencil sharpener. Death Star. Air compressor. Golf cart. Robot.

You forgot trebuchet. Gonna try to do a bunch of those. I have s post drill press I can probably put a pulley on. Got a lathe bed it might work with too.

---------- Post added at 12:46:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43:23 AM ----------

You forgot trebuchet. Gonna try to do a bunch of those. I have s post drill press I can probably put a pulley on. Got a lathe bed it might work with too.