• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Maytag After Market Coil for 72

Teardropbldr

Registered
Hi folks,
I know this has been a topic that has been hashed out many a time. I just picked up a 1948 model 72 engine. Everything thing about the motor is great. Parts are in good condition, with no damage. I checked coil with a meter, and found it to be bad. I want to use a aftermarket coil to save on money. Can someone provide me a picture of one that has been replaced, along with part number. Maybe even the box it came in. There has been a lot of part numbers thrown around, but nothing visual to reference by.

Thank you for your time!!
Alan

Kevin Weis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/23/2020
Re: Maytag after market coil for 72

Eisemann or Wico magneto? There were the two versions. Two people make an after market coil for them. Zach Northway and Bob Blin (Bob's Small Engine). Thin their both sponsors here. I think Zach is currenly out of the Wico coils. Either way your looking at about $150 + shipping to get it to you. There are no other suppliers out there for these that I'm aware of. Others can chime in. You may be fortunate enough to come accoss a "hot" coil off of ebay but you'll pay about the same and it may go dead a few minutes after running which is typical. The Wico magneto seems to hold up better for some reason though. Hope this helps.

Kevin

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020

Assuming that is a Eisemann , Go to Ebay and search Maytag coil. There is one original for $165. New coil $150 from Zach. An original coil can go bad at any time. I've had it happen a couple of times.I've even experimented with Briggs coils with limited success. I finally broke down and bought 2 of Zach's coils. You have to pull off the old coil and push on the new coil and hook up the wires of course. Ron

WesleyGrissom

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/17/2019

There is a thread on here somewhere that explains how to adapt a $37 aftermarket briggs and stratton coil. Includes a part # for Napa.

Mark Shulaw

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/27/2013

The Briggs coil conversions never work very well. They will turn the wheel but with only limited success. Zack is selling the only coil that works. Bob is not currently making any so he tells me.
Mark S

Teardropbldr

Registered

Thank everyone for the great feedback!

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

I heard that it is possible to have a false reading with a meter that indicated coil was bad. When that person put the motor back together, she fired up. I guess wishful thinking.

Kevin Weis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/23/2020

Teardrop, that might have been me. Recently I restored a Wico 72 whereby a multiimeter showed no continuity but fired up and ran well. Probably some corrosion or minute break in the winding and the current is jumping this without issue. We'll see how long that last. Maybe a post about that three months ago or so.

Regards, Kevin

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020

Kevin Yes it may have a small break in the wire. It will slowly burn the wire and form a carbon trail and will still work until it causes the spark to get too weak to run the engine. Ron

gambitace71

Registered

hi, google serch gravely guy.com and go to the parts and services page.there is a guy there that rewinds coils for all kinds of magnetos.he has been rewinding mine for years.thanks

Big Boose

Registered

I have a model 72 maytag on a Zip push mower. It was missing the armature, found one on ebay. There was spark during initial test, but now after several weeks waiting for other parts, I find there is no spark. Test with ohm meter shows open in coil. I get no spark when using 6 volt battery connected to stationary side of points and touching pivoting side of points with paper bbetewwn contacts. Would you tell me how to contact Zach Northway to poaaibly get an aftermarket coil?

Kevin Weis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/23/2020
You need to buy it off his eBay store or at one of the shows he attends. As far as I know he is the only one making/selling these. Kevin