• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Maytag Fruit-Jar engine

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
with 18 years in the fire service, I reccommend the following: At a show, it
always pays to have a 10# CO2 extinguisher handy. Works as well as the powder type on gas fires, if used properly (AIM AT THE BASE OF THE FIRE), and does not leave the mess!
Andrew:D

enginesilo

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/24/2014
Stink them out with pride!!! :)jk

I've seen people talk about those fruity flavors you add to the gas to make it smell pleasant.

I would happily stand close by to see that engine run, fumes or not, ha.

Hit and Miss kid

Registered
Yea but one thing,is that stuff safe to run in a old 2-stroke ? If this one breaks,well you know how fruit-jar maytags are :O Mobey Tom S knows,he has a few pics and alot of knowlege about maytags so lets see what he says first :bonk: If i broke it id never forgive my self :crazy:

C

Chris Page

All the ones I've seen the owners never run them...somthing about glass...danger...gasoline.:shrug::kick::headbang::
Brady here's some information I found that might be usful to you, The glass fruit jar was actually the fuel tank. Filling this tank then inverting it in position without spilling any fuel required a lot of skill and more than a little luck.:uhoh: After it was in place the glass jar was easily broken spilling gas all over the kitchen or wash house floor. Production of this engine ended in 1919, very few of these engines are in existinst today.

CHRIS

Tom S

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/08/2019
Brady here's some information I found that might be usful to you, The glass fruit jar was actually the fuel tank. Filling this tank then inverting it in position without spilling any fuel required a lot of skill and more than a little luck.:uhoh: After it was in place the glass jar was easily broken spilling gas all over the kitchen or wash house floor. Production of this engine ended in 1919, very few of these engines are in existinst today.

CHRIS
You must have been reading from one of the late great Marvin Frahm's books....:O :wave:

Hit and Miss kid

Registered
Cross your fingers yall,the 16th there going down to the bar where the engines are and there going to bring both down here :D Ill keep yall updated on it if it comes or not ;)

Chris J

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2012
Been over a year since you last updated this thread Brady, By now you surely have it home and have it running!

Post some pictures, fill us in, Curious and skeptical minds need to know about your Fruit Jar Maytag!

Edit: Also may know of a Canning Jar for ya, but you can find those at most yard sales around your parts as well.

Last edited:

MedicHamilton

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/06/2015
if it catches on fire , good luck putting it out , with a full tank. better have some AFFF on hand. DO NOT POOR WATER ON IT!! u will break every cast piece on it. and will just spread the fire!! so it would be wise to have just regular baking soda or flour on hand. just my two cents