• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

McCormick Deering 10-20 How Far Gone is Too Far Gone?

JohnDeere80

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/05/2016
Found this old girl at the back of the farm the other day apparently it came with the farm when my grandfather bought the place its tough and the engine is seized worth pulling her grass and going at it? I am going tonight to get photos to be posted later!
thanks!

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
Re: McCormick Deering 10-20 How far gone is to far gone?

Hi, I always say if it's worth it to you then it's worth doing.Everyone can armchair quarterback it, but in the end it's you with the blood, sweat, and tears.Rob

Gene Williams

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/15/2019

Everything on the tractor is easily obtainable and the tractor is a nice one to work on also. They have as nice a sound enginewise as any tractor out there. They do not have the big dollar value of some tractors but they are sure a pleasurable tractor to own and operate. As Rob said it is really up to you and how much work you wish to do.

JohnDeere80

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/05/2016

Any tips on where to look for parts? I flipped through a steiner tractor book to start but this model was not in it.

Mike McKnight

Registered

Try Ben Kensingers, or The Fordson House, or Gordon Rice Equipment for parts. Biewer's Salvage Tractors probably has a lot of used parts for it, too if you need them.

10-20's are easy to get parts for. Whether or not it's economically feasible to either dump a lot of money into yours, or buy another already restored might be another matter entirely. But, if you really have the WANT TO to restore yours, it CAN be done!

Mike M

Caleb Carpenter

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/15/2016

You can always go the cheap route and preferred by many on here. Leave it looking like you found it, make it run right,and straighten the fenders out and enjoy it!

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018

It is only as far gone as your talents and experience and money will let it be.
Anything can be fixed if it is worth it to you.
A lot of stuff gets junked because someone thinks,"to far gone" and it be very basic restoration needed to have it going like new.

Rick Gilder

Registered
I say go for it! My 10-20 had a stuck engine when I got it. It runs good now :). Take a patience pill before you start, and take your time loosening things up.

DC Snider

Registered
Looks like the shape my '29 Regular is in...I sprayed it down with motor oil and diesel fuel and put it in the shed on blocks. One of these...