• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

McCormick-Deering 15-30/22-36?

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
Maybe I have asked this question on here before - who can remember these things. It is all a blur!
Many, many years ago, I restored an IH 22-36 for a good friend. It was a nice old tractor. He got it on steel, but wanted it switched to rubber. He had a nice set of factory-looking spoke rims for rubber.
The tag on it had 22-36 and he gave me a set of decals that were 22-36. However, I seem to recall him saying that IH never really lettered them 22-36. Is that true, or is my memory simply addled? He said the decal maker had taken the liberty of making up 22-36 decals because a lot of guys were requesting them. I know the 22-36 had 1/4-inch greater bore than the earlier 15-30s.
That turned out to be not a bad running old tractor. I seem to recall having trouble tuning in the Ensign carb, but it finally started and ran well. I kind of wanted a 15-30 back then. They were fairly impressive, especially on steel with extension rims. However, there was another local collector who bought every one that came up at auctions, whether whole or parts. He had a bunch of them. Sadly, he and his wife split up, and much of what he had ended up piled one on top of another in a scrap yard. Damned shame.

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
That is true, those tractors came from the factory labled 15-30 on the fender decals, later on sometime (and I don't know when)
a decal was available that said 22-36. Not sure when because some repaints I have seen and owned that had transfer decals on
them barely readable said 22-36. At one time an acquaintance in the hobby told me he thought all Canadian 22-36's said 15-30
and late US sold tractors said 22-36. But I have had several '29 models that still barely read 15-30 and one '30 model same deal.
I Think that's how it was or close to it. We collectors like to identify them with the 22-36 so the folks at the show know, that's all.
I think it can be up to the owner.

Ric Murphy

Registered
That is true, those tractors came from the factory labled 15-30 on the fender decals, later on sometime (and I don't know when)
a decal was available that said 22-36. Not sure when because some repaints I have seen and owned that had transfer decals on
them barely readable said 22-36. At one time an acquaintance in the hobby told me he thought all Canadian 22-36's said 15-30
and late US sold tractors said 22-36. But I have had several '29 models that still barely read 15-30 and one '30 model same deal.
I Think that's how it was or close to it. We collectors like to identify them with the 22-36 so the folks at the show know, that's all.
I think it can be up to the owner.
I too would like to know a definitive answer to this. I’ve owned 2 - 22-36 tractors. Both 1930. Both serial number plates read model 15-30, 22-36 hp. No evidence of original decals on fenders though. I’ve viewed thousands of photos of original tractors and never seen one labelled as 22-36 on the fenders. Now if some one were to discover one original photo showing that then I guess we’d have an answer. So for now I’m of the opinion they were “all” 15-30 tractors just higher hp on the later ones.

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
Thank you for the replies above.
Will and Markle in "Collector's Originality Guide - Farmall Regular and F-Series ..." say that Harvester Milwaukee Works Decision documents say that tractors sold in the USA were not to be re-badged, but export models could be lettered as 22-36s. (pages 106-107) Not sure about those sold in Canada.
So that seems to back up what my friend told me back 35 or 40 years ago.
Interesting. You would think IH would be happy to boast of a higher powered model.

Last edited:

Ric Murphy

Registered
One other story I recall (and I don’t know the source), was tractors imported into Canada were subject to duties based on horse power. So in an effort to avoid the additional duties on the increased hp 22-36 they continued to call it a 15-30. Wish I knew where I read that.

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
One other story I recall (and I don’t know the source), was tractors imported into Canada were subject to duties based on horse power. So in an effort to avoid the additional duties on the increased hp 22-36 they continued to call it a 15-30. Wish I knew where I read that.
That's correct, I think even the serial number plate says 15 drawbar 30 belt. I have had two early 22-36s' that also were unchanged on the horsepower ratings on the plate, and many other later ones that stated 22 drawbar 36 belt.