• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

McCormick Deering corn sheller belt pulley needed

DShanks

Registered
IMG_6548.JPG

I purchased this old McCormick Deering Sheller (w/ fan). I would like to run it using my JD 1 1/2 hp hit & miss at the Sycamore steam show. I am looking for a belt pulley to fit the 15/16 flywheel shaft. Per the Deering owners manual they did make an 8" belt pulley for it part #2278A that could be ordered back then. Any idea were I can find a pulley that will work?

Dutch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/28/2020
I have a JD pulley which should bolt on to your spokes [with “J-Bolts”much like the early John Deere model 1. I think I might also have a IHC pulley with the same mounting arrangements.
PM me and I can send pix when I return from West Coast

DShanks

Registered
I have a JD pulley which should bolt on to your spokes [with “J-Bolts”much like the early John Deere model 1. I think I might also have a IHC pulley with the same mounting arrangements.
PM me and I can send pix when I return from West Coast
Thanks. I am very interested. Please send more info when you return. I am new to this site how can I send you a PM or do you just need my cell.

Jebaroni

Registered
There were two different pulleys that could be ordered. One bolts to the shaft using a set screw, like most of the flat belt pulleys you see out there. That is the 2278A part number you were referring to, and had an 8" diameter x 3" wide face. It was used on shellers from 1927-1949.

The other pulley is part number 57, and used J-bolts/hooks to grab onto the flywheel spokes. It was 8" diameter x 4" wide face and is the style that I loaned to Dutch to get reproductions made. It was used on shellers from 1912-1923. The nice thing is that (if you get creative), you can install the J-hook pulley on the flywheel and still keep the nubber installed.

Under normal circumstances, the set-screw pulley would force you to remove the nubber. The nubber was then installed where the hand crank used to be (you don't need a hand crank on a machine that has a belt pulley...) Again, with the J-hook style, you can have all 3 and power it either way, although I would recommend removing the hand crank unless it is the ratcheting style crank. No one wants a crank flying around and bashing folks in the chin!

Jebaroni

Registered
Actually, I did a rare deviation on this one.

If I remember correctly, I think the small fan pulley was supposed to be red, but I liked it as blue to match. Also, the flywheel spokes and all sheet metal should be red, as well as the tray (I painted mine with Rustoleum "Hammered Finish" black to blend some of the rust pits and give it a bit of a cast appearance). I believe the decals are correct. I opted to leave my sheet metal unpainted because (*gasp*) I saw the John Deere shellers and liked the contrast, so I thought i'd try it on an IHC sheller to be a little different...!

Paint committee decision #32 (issued in 1927) indicated that some shellers got blue pulleys, but does not indicate anything about the belt pulley for All-Steel, One Hole shellers. Decision 32 says everything should be red except for the hand crank and the fan DRIVE pulley (not the driven pulley). I know that the J-hook belt pulley pre-dates the 1927 committee decision, so I've got a bit of a hodge-podge regarding colors, but who's to say the farmer couldn't order an old, blue pulley that had sat unsold on the shelf for a while and installed it on his newer machine? That was my justification, anyways! At the end of the day, it looks good to me, but I don't try to pass this one off as "original" as far as colors go.

I tell you what, this machine does a fine job shelling corn, too!