• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

McCormick Deering / IHC old iron

leeanson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2019
Hello from Mt Spokane WA. Glad to join up with folks of like mind. My little jewel is a 3rd generation barn find and I want to make it Hit-Miss like new with some help from smokestack.

OrgWayne

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/22/2017
Welcome from the State of Oregon
Wayne :salute:
Lots of Smart Guys and Gals on here

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Leeanson, post some details on your engine, and we can get started! Be aware - most IHC engines were throttle governed! NOT hit & miss!:eek: They all are usually nice runners though, and make for great display engines!

Welcome to the Stak!
Andrew

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
Welcome to STAK...… :)

Post some details and I'll move your post/question to THE engine forum...…. :brows:

leeanson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2019
Welcome to STAK...… :)

Post some details and I'll move your post/question to THE engine forum...…. :brows:
Thx for any help. I have ordered a manual so soon I might be smart enough to post enough details to explain what I’ve got. For now, it’s 1 1/2 hp. It appears to be carbureted with an air control damper plate to control airflow to the carburetor body. The sparkplug is beneath the throttle body. There is a well anchored bracket that supports a valve rocker arm and a pushrod support sleeve. The pushrod itself runs horizontally from a cam device (near crankshaft) operated by engine RPM, so I assume it must be acceleratory to the method of ignition timing. This is the best I am do for now until my manual from IHC arrives. I am a certified aircraft repairman and I do well with manuals. Thanks leeanson

leeanson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2019
By chance I ran across shopdogsam’s uTube forum on my McCormick Deering 1 1/2 engine. My engine S/N is about 500 down the production line from the engine he rebuilt. I have a question for this form though: The name tag on both mine and shopdogsam’s engine have GASOLINE stamped on the tag! Does anyone have a clue why IHC would identify this engine accordingly?
leeanson

ScooterBob

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019
The name tag on both mine and shopdogsam’s engine have GASOLINE stamped on the tag! Does anyone have a clue why IHC would identify this engine accordingly?
leeanson
They made some of the Model M's that were started and warmed up on gasoline poured into the carb bowl, and once warmed up, were switched over to run off the fuel in the tank, which could be kerosene.

The Gas/Kero engine of the spark plug vintage would have 3 needle valves sticking of the front of the carb, gasoline needle, kero needle, and water needle to prevent preignition when on kero.

I presume your "gasoline only" tagged engine only has 1 needle valve out the front of the carb??

EDIT: here's a link to put a year to your serial number...

http://www.oldengine.org/members/maytag92/serials/mserial.htm

Lots of good info on the M here, including a service manual...

http://www.oldengine.org/members/hammink/web/my__type.htm

leeanson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2019
Thx Scooter Bob. Your answer makes sense because, yes, I have only one needle valve. leeanson

leeanson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2019
One more question ScooterBob..I haven’t started my McCormick 1 1/2 M up yet since I don’t know exactly the type of GASOLINE to use. Are we talking pump gas or special White gas like used in gas lanterns.
leeanson

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Lots of guys run white has or naphtha in their engines since it won’t cause problems from sitting, but you can run regular pump gas too with no problems, but don’t leave the engine sit with gas in the tank. You’ll have problems if there’s ethanol in the gas. You mentioned being involved with aircraft repair. If you have access to avgas, that’s also a good option for fuel that won’t cause problems from sitting, which you are probably already aware of.

Here’s a video of my gasoline only IHC M. Yours should be the same.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
I would use high test fuel, if available. It has less alky then regular. E-10 id hygroscopic. That means it draws water out of the air (humidity). This in turn causes rusting in the tank, and phase separation which will ruin your fuel pump. If you plan to let the engine rest more than a week, I would drain all gas from the tank, and run the engine dry - out of fuel. Dead gas can cause all kinds of problems.