• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

McCulloch 170 Welder

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
I just picked up this McCulloch 170 welder. It's a neat little outfit built in the '60s. Anyone else have one?? This one is missing something involved in the air filter as there is nothing to mount the air filter cover to. Can't seem to find a parts diagram either. Ultimately, it will probably just end up being a display piece since carb parts are pretty much nonexistent.

Attachments

s100

Registered
That's a neat unit. If that engine is set up anything like the chain saws (it's basically a chain saw engine) then there was at one time a strap that ran across the opening and was secured somehow at one end. (On the chain saws the tank is in two pieces, top and bottom, and there is a series of screws around the edge to hold things together. The strap slipped under the edge of the opening on one side and was held in place by one of the screws.)

The strap had a weld nut in the center for the air cleaner screw to attach to. I don't see any screws on your tank so who knows but I suspect there was a similar strap of some sort for retaining the air cleaner. That looks like a McCulloch carburetor with the primer instead of a choke. You are right parts for those are a lost cause. Someday somebody is going to come up with a source for diaphragm material and many old carburetors can be saved but the primer is another story. I doubt anything can be done with those.

McCulloch built some excellent engines in those days but I have to wonder about a chain saw engine running a welder, at 7200 rpm no less. But this misses the point, it's a very cool thing to show off.

---------- Post added at 08:52:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48:07 PM ----------

Just looked at the pictures again and your tank is two piece as well. I suspect the strap would have been held in place by the screw in the middle of the left side.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Wow, check out the frequency of the current! I bet that the arc sounds neat!! :D

oldgoat

Email NOT Working
I had one of these many years ago and it really used to sing when you struck the arc. They were a good little welder much lighter than what Lincoln and others had on offer at the time

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
[/COLOR]Just looked at the pictures again and your tank is two piece as well. I suspect the strap would have been held in place by the screw in the middle of the left side.
I think you're right on the money about the strap for the air filter cover.

The carb has this curious piece with two pistons and cylinders that work off the throttle shaft. A piece of tubing was connected to the nipple and lead to the rear of the unit where the end was plugged by a golf tee. My first thought is that it's a damper for the throttle to keep the rpms nice and steady.

Attachments

DTurner

Registered
I like it junk ��������How does it weld ❓