• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel Engine

cobbadog

Registered
Hi Allastair, I have already had it in a molasses mix for over a week and after the last electrolysis bath over a few days there is no rust anywhere on the injector.
The only problem I have is the bottom needle is jamed in place and the top of the needle is deep inside the injector body and no pliers can reach it. I made a tool to grip the end of the needle to try and twist it and get it to break free and so far no luck. So the current plan is to remove the cup to give access to the needle then clean it and also lap it into the seat to make sure it is seating properly.
I agree that the sudden differences in temps can cause issues like cracking but I have to try something other than what I have been doing to get this needle out.
The link to SCA evorust product is another one of those over priced rust converter products. Try Bondall at Bunnings at around $12.00 a litre and it does a great job. I have even tried caustic soda solution on this as well.
Always open to suggestions on how to get this apart.

can you shock it out using inertia , tie the injector to a Length of wood about 2m long and swing it down onto a block of copper on top of a anvil or other very heavy piece.
Just like you would swing a axe.
if copper is too soft try brass.
have the hole facing down so as to allow the part to fall out in the same direction..a small part won't have much inertia but worth a shot

maybe lightening won't hit the block of copper so better make it bigger than smaller as you have better chance of hitting it.

do it somewhere where you can find the part if it flings out and bounces off, or even have a mesh bag around it, maybe metal flyscreen to capture it. the flyscreen may break after a swing so watch for that, being under a metal part may crimp or cut it. but may hold it enough to do the job

Last edited:

cobbadog

Registered
'Lightning' is my middle name and never have struck the same place twice. One of the things I did try early in the piece was something similar. With the top plunger off the body I inverted the body and slammed it down onto a block of wood for quite a while with zero response. However, since then I have removed a heap of crap from inside the body and from around the needle so may well be woth another visit. Hopefully something has to let go, either the needle or my temper.
I will keep on trying and love receiving ideas, suggestions and warnings. Sometimes you try things and when it hasn't worked it is ticked off the to do list and sometimes you have to do it again at a later date.

cobbadog

Registered
Late News.
Today the oil primer arrived safely from over the Queensland border past Anna and into NSW, yippe.
What a little ripper it is. I already ahve it apart with the pluger part already in the electrolysis bath to free it up, oil tube removed along with the ball valve and spring. The main body is in a bath of diesel at the moment then if needed with go into the electrolysis.
Thank You Jarrod very much.

cobbadog

Registered
Well I stripped the oil primer and had to remove the plunger from the brass tube, clean it all up and as suggested I simply reversed the plunger so that it was back to original specifications and not with all the wear on it. I tinned the end of the brass tube and sweated it back in place without having to remove the outter casing by heating it up through the bottom where the check valve should have been. I welded the plunger back into the cap then made a new gasket to fit between the body and hopper. My brass tube was still there so I made it to the new length as it was a bit too long, tinned it and again heated the brass tube and soldered it back into the body. Some silicone and then bolted it back into place.
I did a test on the bench by putting some oil in the case with the plunger installed and sitting down. No oil came out. I started lifting the cap up and down and it started pumping oil out so it is a win. It is amazing how much oil it displaces each pump.
20200607_114330.jpg20200608_084834.jpg20200608_102821.jpg20200608_115454.jpg

muzzery

Registered
Good to see you trying to keep the authenticity of the nuts and bolts. I try to do this, especially on pre-war built engines with the larger size hex. The problem with this is nuts especially are often rusted beyond recognition, and replacements hard to come by. For some reason I am forever searching for old-style 3/8" Whitworth nuts. McDonalds also often used half nuts and there is no choice but to make them yourself.
Half nuts. That is a requirement to restore any old machinery I reckon...

davob

Registered
G'Day Davo,
As it happens I have a rather large version of said ultrasonic tank cleaners. It measures 2.6 metres long x 0.300 wide and is used for my business of cleaning blinds. My issue is cleaning it out after using it to do an injector as I dont want it to bugger the next cleaning job. Food for thought and thanks for bringing it it to my attention. The tanks also works best with detergents designed for certain jobs usually.

Hi Cobba,
Seeing as you have an ultrasonic cleaner at work, this idea might be worth trying. It carries on for a bit but basically chuck your bits in a jar with your preferred solution, screw on the lid and drop in the bath and it cleans without containing your unit. Interestingly old mate uses petrol as his go to solution

cobbadog

Registered
Yeah it will be worth a go. At the moment the tank is buried behind a heap of curtain fabric stock and I mean nearly buried so will be a little while before I can try it but the use of the palstic containers and petrol is a good one.

cobbadog

Registered
Plan B for the fuel tank, one bomb proof tank.
I have the injector body hidden in the freezer where hopefully it won't be found until I get it out of there tomorrow and no one will know. It is wrapped up in a plastic bag so hopefully it is not being thawed out for tonights tucker.
20200612_141047.jpg

asw20

Registered
My ultrasound gets a lot of use. Mainly carbies, but also electrolysis bits that have "stopped". 5 minutes in the ultrasound and back in the electrolysis, or molasses and away it goes again. It gets all the loose stuff off and especially in passages you can't get to.

Jarrod.

cobbadog

Registered
Injector went for an overnight stay out of sight of Dee to shrink the main body of the injector then heat the cup up so you get the extremes of shrinkage and expansion. I haven't mentioned it to Dee as yet but she knows it is apart by the things I was saying.

I WON, I WON !
I got the bastard at last. Safely apart now just zapping the needle from the tube and it is ready. A heap of filth was still inside the cap and could only get in there via the fuel system. What worked was the freezing of the body and heating the cup. I did also find a small amount of the old screw in the recess that was holding things up a little bit once I got it to twist and it showed up so I dug it out.
Also finished off the lid for the bomb proof fuel tank.
It is a good feeling when things go forward after a long challenge, so happy I could shit!
20200613_105504.jpg20200613_153513.jpg

asw20

Registered
I wonder if all the crap in the explosion cup is normal after a long time running, given that it does ignite in there first.

Jarrod.

cobbadog

Registered
I don't know Jarrod. I do know that it was a fair mongrel to get apart as lots of interfearance fitting parts had a heap of carbon stuck between the joints and with the 2 small holes inside the cup if an ultrasonic tank loosened them up then they could block the holes. Sort of like a Damn if you do and Damn if you don't trick. I have also been very careful with the copper gaskets not to disturb them as I will possibly re use them unless the one and only injector place in town has a replacement ones close to the originals.
I was hoping to finish off the fuel tank tomorrow but once again we will be enduring a power outtage as they call them. We get so many it is crazy and although I have a genset that can run both the fridge and the big freezer I won't hook it up to the welder so seems like a day off the tools and a day in the work room with Dee folding and cutting curtain fabric. Rest assure I wont mention any special parts in the freezer.

hceeB

Registered
I don't know Jarrod. I do know that it was a fair mongrel to get apart as lots of interfearance fitting parts had a heap of carbon stuck between the joints and with the 2 small holes inside the cup if an ultrasonic tank loosened them up then they could block the holes. Sort of like a Damn if you do and Damn if you don't trick. I have also been very careful with the copper gaskets not to disturb them as I will possibly re use them unless the one and only injector place in town has a replacement ones close to the originals.
I was hoping to finish off the fuel tank tomorrow but once again we will be enduring a power outtage as they call them. We get so many it is crazy and although I have a genset that can run both the fridge and the big freezer I won't hook it up to the welder so seems like a day off the tools and a day in the work room with Dee folding and cutting curtain fabric. Rest assure I wont mention any special parts in the freezer.
Cobba, nothing to do with freezing and heating etc but back to your valve guides, how would nodular cast iron go? If you google it the properties re wear etc are very good, there is plenty of it lying around as Briggs and Stratton cranks are made from it and machines very easily.

Regards Geoff

muzzery

Registered
Yes no mention. Or YOUR special parts May end up in the freezer haha