• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel Engine

cobbadog

Registered
Made a socket to adapt to the slide hammer today. This is my very first attempt to make a thread on the lathe and it is an internal one just to test my lack of ability. Pics are bad but they are what they are. Main thing to me is that it worked and screws on just right. Having zero experience at doing this I did manage to learn something and that is I must have had the boring bar slightly pointing away from me as I think the thread has a very slight taper even though I used the main carriage driven by the lead screw.
Shoulders back, chest out ! :brows:

Attachments

cobbadog

Registered
As for understanding Shopdog Sam, I believe I can understand what he says along with his actions. I laughed like buggery when there were sirens screaming around the streets near his yard and he just casually said that there must be some 'criminals' around. He didn't miss a step and carried on as if nothing had happened. If that had happened around here the whole Village would out the front to see what was going on.
If unsure of what he is saying try closed captions or drink more.

cobbadog

Registered
Spent a little bit more time on these gibb keys today. I carefully welded a HT bolt to the key, placed a pipe over the lot and a heavy flat plate and wound the nut on. I watched in a video where he used a rattle gun to also help it come loose so out with the 18v rattle gun. This is the result, the key broke away at the end of the broken drill bits and level with the flywheel hub. Tomorrow I will go back to drilling more holes below the broken drill bits and then fit a puller on and try to pull the flywheel over the key.
So I went around to the other side and welded the bolt on and set it all up along with the new big bunsen burner which sounds like a jet when opened up and applied the heat then the rattle gun. The nut stripped. So now I am making up an attachment for the slide hammer on this side, heat again and then hammer away.

Attachments

cobbadog

Registered
Well after a lot of swearing and then some more swearing I finally got one out, the one on the starting side of the engine. It took a new home made adaptor, then had to beef it up again, a lot of heat from the big LPG bunsen burner some flogging with a cold chisel behind the welded on bolt and the new slide hammer and a sore back from bending over but when it came out I thought "you bloody beauty". Even after beefing the 5mm thick angle iron up on the sides you can see in the last pic how it has still bent after all the flogging on the weight of the hammer.

So with this win under the belt I was not about to push my luck any further so I packed up for the day and still a happy chappy.

Attachments

cobbadog

Registered
With no extra heat and with no effort at all this flywheel slid off the shaft. The gibb key must really be what holds these in place.
Now to the other side with the broken drill bits in the gibb key. I will drill some more holes under the 3/16" hole in the centre with the shattered drill bit still in place to weaken the key as much as possible. Then I will have an attempt at using a centre punch or a nail punch to loosen the drill bit/s. If no joy I will try to use a pin punch to start to collapse the key and then hook up my puller and put some weight on it and see how that goes. I spoke with a close friend about this side today and if the plan as described doesn't work I have been kindly offered the use of a 10 ton hydraulic puller to shift it, now that should move it ! 20200331_132208.jpg20200331_132539.jpg

isandian

Registered
Gibb head keys have always presented challenges to me. I once cracked the centre boss of a flywheel attempting to pull both key and flywheel at once after giving up on the key (the 30T jack contributed!). On one of my McDonalds, the very large flywheel had two keys, and after trying all sorts of leverage, slide hammers, etc, I resorted to welding on 3/4" UNF HT bolts, and this did the trick, but not before stripping a bolt and replacing it for a second go which was successful. Here are some photos. I was able to re-use the gibb head keys.2009_0813Aug0001 copy.JPG2009_0813Aug0002 copy.JPG2009_0813Aug0004.JPG

cobbadog

Registered
Thanks Ian, I too stripped the HT thread on the first bolt when trying to pull the key in a simialr way you showed, then I ran a die down the thread to clean it and used a new nut and would it on further then attached my slide hammer which just as I was about to swear yet again I felt it start to move and 3 more flogs on the hammer and it was out. Even Dee cheered from a distance.

cobbadog

Registered
This is what I started with today a punch, pobge and a 3/8" pin punch re-shaped to being a slotting chisel. You can one of the small holes opened up and another hiding behind swarf on the bottom right. After some very careful drilling I got the left hand side opened completely and a bigger hole on the bottom right. Centre and top right still have drill bits inside. Next it is time for heat, heat and more heat and bolt up the puller checking that it is an even distance off the flywheel as I expect to have to put some fetch on this one.20200404_100202.jpg20200404_101003.jpg20200404_112321.jpg

Last edited:

cobbadog

Registered
After a lot of heating and smoke coming up from every where because of oil and grease, I bolted the puller in place and checked measured the distance off the flywheel to ensure it was square. I knew this was going to be tight, shit I hate being right at times but with the ol' trusty Sidchrome sockets, a "T" bar and wrong or right a length of pipe on the end of that. I put a fair bit of fetch on it and then got the 2lb soft hammer and flogged the outside of the flywheel and each time I was able to put just a little bit more on the pipe. Eventually it cracked and I shit myself and then studied what had just happened. All looked good, no stripped bolts into the flywheel and the centre bolt on the puller in tact I tried a bit more weight and it was easier. So I did a check measure on the end of the crankshaft and put some more strain on the puller and it became obvious it was on the move, at bloody last. It fought me all the way but it still a good feeling to see it slowly working it's way off. After about another 30 minutes of swinging on the pipe it was finally off, "YEAH TEAM COBBA".
You can see in what's left of the gibb key the remains of the small drill bit. It shows that it snapped when I was with-drawing it out to clear the swarf from the flutes of the drill. In the centre there is still a 3/16" drill bit hiding. As I was using the slotting chisel I made up tiny bits of drill bit kept falling out, it had truly shattered to bits.
On Monday I'm heading off to Manning Base Hospital and apply for a job as a "keyhole surgeon" these pics are my resume. 20200404_142648.jpg20200404_143432.jpg

Scotty 2

Registered
Oi Cobba. I forgot to tell you the easy way of getting gib keys out. Oh well, next time huh. 🥴

Cheers Scott
PS: I'm so glad I've already had the flyscreen put in my guts. I can only imagine you doing it.

cobbadog

Registered
Geez, it is good to have mates,,,,,Scotty.
As soon as it was off I packed up and went inside to gloat and recover. When I've been on the spanners for a while and especially after putting a lot of weight on and through my hands I pay for it for a day or so, but believe me I think this win is worth it.