• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

MEP 1A08, 2A016, 4A032 Engines: Carb Float Brass Replacements

miltruck

Registered
There are a number of threads here about the problems with the original equipment carb floats for these engines. I am still looking for a brass float that will fit. No luck so far searching for the Tillotson 07804 or the Homelite 31855. Anyone have any solid suggestions? Have 3 gen sets (2-2 cylinder and 1-4 cylinder) and one spare carb, one spare 4 cylinder and a junk 2 cylinder.
Had all three running on Saturday but it is a pain with the gas issue having to drain the float bowels and the lines so you don't have the swelling issue. And then they don't start very well.

mdlbldrmatt135

Registered
I tried making one work with no luck. it was just too tall.

I have seemed to have had luck coating them. I tried both RedKote and model airplane dope. The airplane dope is getting to be a bear to find.

miltruck

Registered
Found a brass Homelite replacement online (I think it was their last one). Had to file the ends of the attachment lug to fit into the float bowl pocket but it seems to fit and operate perfect! Now waiting for new bowl gasket from Saturn. Should solve the problem for at least one carb. I hate this "new" gas!!! Can't even wash parts off in it anymore.

Oh, I did look into the model airplane dope; it too is now banned. Use bottles of the stuff when a kid on model rockets. Wonder how we survived into adulthood.