• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Mercury Mark 20

Reiter

Registered
I just bought a Mercury Mark 20 and was wondering if anyone can help with some questions? The power head is not stuck. I can turn the flywheel back and forth but the motor will not turn over. I think the water pump is bad not allowing it to turn over. I have pulled the plugs and oiled the cylinders and removed the small side covers on the block allowing me to see the sides of the pistons and they look like New. The power head still has the factory seal so it has not been apart before. Any Ideas on what to check or problems any one has seen with the Mark 20? This is my first old Mercury.

Heller D. Davis

Subscriber
I had one like that a few years ago that would turn over only part way and found that the coil in the magneto had swelled and would interfere with the flywheel turning 360 degrees. If I remember correctly, the mag. was a bendix and I ordered new coils from them.

Heller D. Davis

Subscriber
You will probably have to use a puller. I have removed them by loosing the flywheel nut till flush with end of crank and holding up on the flywheel, tap nut and shaft with a brass hammer. You might get lucky.

Reiter

Registered
I could not get the flywheel nut to break loose. So I removed the lower unit and found the lower unit will only turn so far and then it stop when turning the drive shaft. The power head turns over now. I can turn the drive shaft back and forth but it will not turn all the way around. I checked the gear case and it has grease in it. Do I need special tools to take the lower unit apart?

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
You'll probably need a hammer-type impact screwdriver to break a few of the screws loose if they've been tight for a long time, otherwise shouldn't be too difficult.

Does the propshaft turn? If so, drain the gearcase, see if anything harder than oil falls out. If it has a chipped gear tooth, or a broken clutch dog, there's probably a remnant stuck between the gears and the case... so don't force it!

JoeCB

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/19/2020
I do have several older outboard motors but I'm not a "Mercury" guy so I will not offer specific info on the gear case/ lower unit except to say that Mercs are different that many other brands... you may need some special tools or at lease specific guidance. Your best source is to post your questions at "Ask a member" on the Antique Outboard Motor Club site aomci.org. Many "Merc" guys there.

Joe B

PS, what ever you do - DO NOT use a arm type puller on the flywheel.