• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Mid Summer Fetching

W.P.Klein

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/19/2020
Yeah, this is a strange one! Google "W.P.A. outhouse" and you will see the history of these old latrines. I retrieved this one from next to the Boviard & Seyfang turnkey facility that was removed from near Kennerdell and re-erected at the Ashtabula County Club grounds. It is in remarkable condition for being over 75 years old! Bill Klein

Attachments

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Re: Mid summer fetching

Did it come with the old sears catalog for wiping paper Bill? I hear that is what they used to use during the depression.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019

Did it come with the old sears catalog for wiping paper Bill? I hear that is what they used to use during the depression.
only if you were lucky enough to have a catalog, if not according to grandpa it was corn cobs! Yikes!!!!:yikes:

Pete Deets

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020

That was why you had 2 red cobs and a white one. Use the red one and then use the white one to see if you need to use the second red one......PD

radiodoc

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2021

Tracy T do you know why there were red (were generally more red ones) and white corn cobs in the outhouse? Allie

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019

Tracy T do you know why there were red (were generally more red ones) and white corn cobs in the outhouse? Allie
yep but didnt think anybody would believe me! sears & robuck user here and i prefer the regular pages V/s the ones with alot of color pictures! those who have been there know why.......

radiodoc

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2021

Growing up we had some farm neighbors who preferred the National Bellas Hess catalog Allie :D

W.P.Klein

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/19/2020

No, but there was a 1960 Oil City Derrick newspaper on the floor! I plan to put it in a poster frame & display it with the privy. Bill Klein

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
If it had not been used in a long time, it would be interesting digging in the old pits. All kinds of things got thrown in when they were abandoned. old tools, coins, if it was an old outhouse, many antique items were tossed in besides poop! I never heard of people collecting out houses!