• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Military Generator

blackdog806

Registered
Greetings.
I have come up with an old genset, that I can not identify. The only tags left are on the generator itself. Made by Kato. It is 15k, 120/220 - 3 phase. It is run by a diesel engine. The last known use was at the local PD and was move from there some 25 years ago. The last time the engine was run was about 20 years back. I will attempt to attach some photos. From what I have been able to find so far, it appears to possibly be a eWilly, or Hobart Bros, from the early 50's maybe? I have not found any on the searches that utilize the same door latch design as the ones that I have, with the exception of a Hobart that might, but the picture is not good enough to make that determination. I have contacted Kato Engineering, and they can not help, as it is too old. I would like to get it running, and go from there. There isnt any critter (mice) damage, and it is clean enough that it appears to have run last week. But that is not the case.
I have some more pictures, if you need to see something more. And it is just outside the back lot, so I can get more pretty easily if needed.

Attachments

nblack

Registered
Any more pics under the bonnet on the other side of the engine? That might help. The controls are kinda androgynous from the previous pic. There is a mixture of the old "twist lock" 110-120v plugs mixed with a newer 120v plug. The older plug definitely harkens back to a 50's vintage, though. I did see that it is missing an air cleaner, too. What kind of injection pump is it outfitted with?

blackdog806

Registered
As soon as the sun comes up, I'll get a photo, but it's a Stanadyne pump for fuel, and I have the oil bath air cleaner. It has 4 - 6vdc batteries. Thus 24 vdc system. I'm attempting to charge them, which not working out too well, but I'm not ready to run out and buy 4 batteries.

dependable

Registered
You could use two 12V batteries to try to start it, easier to come by or borrow than 4 6V. Someone on Steelsoldiers, in the auxillary equipment forum, might know what it is. I know there were some Kato light plants, but they may have been of newer vintage.

blackdog806

Registered
nblack This is the fuel pump side of the engine. Thank you for taking the time to look. And thanks for the additional contact points for info, dependable. 10-4 on the batteries.

Attachments

turtmaster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Those "crow foot" outlets on the front panel are a "non-nema" type, 125v 15a / 250v 10a.
They are similar to a nema 10-20, but they will not interchange, careful how wire it. I THINK that they are wire like a 10-50, or 10-30, 3 wire stove/dryer outlet, but double check with a multi meter.

Here is a link to the plug that should fit, note, I can't find it in the Hubbell plug catalog anymore, I know for sure that they have made them in the past, as I have a set.

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-4763-C-125-Volt-Industrial-Grounding/dp/B0055D2UEQ

nblack

Registered
Thanks for the injector side photo. Almost looks like a lenovo (read BUDA) head type diesel, but I am not sure. Are there any casting numbers, or any other definitive tags or anything on it? OHV, shielded pushrods, horizontal injection, stanadyne pump. 4 cylinder.... hmmm.