• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Milking Machines

RustyNumbat

Registered
Took the thing apart and put the insides back the correct way this time, still a prick of a job even with an extra pair of hands this time.

Pulled the flatbelt wheel off the other pump with the magic of strap power, and I've set it up to work out how I'll assemble a platform for it. Then I have to bolt it all together, finish making the belt... then sort out the bloody Listers problems! Hopefully it'll make it for Bridgetown on Saturday...

RustyNumbat

Registered
Hmmm didn't figure that out yet.

Had a good chat to an oldboy at Russels field day today, he used to use one to prime an irrigation pipe cranking it by hand to remove the air! He was able to tell me mine wasn't making nearly enough of a suction force when he stuck his hand on it as I turned it, so it seems like I might have gaps too big between the vanes and the walls or something like that...

Sadly my Lister D didn't want to run, even with the help of Chester to try to bring it to life (after GreasyJohn had a go too) but at least some punters got to see me stitching up my leather belt together and find out about it.

Seems these pumps were a fairly common item as far as a source of vacuum.

RustyNumbat

Registered
Anyone got advice for pulling a belt wheel off the other pump I have?

It seems to be on a bush on the shaft. I already managed to crack a sliver off the alloy wheel with a wild hammer swing. Pulling with straps failed, so now I have the pump hanging free so I can tap the shaft end but it hasn't budged a mm...

Attachments

cobbadog

Registered
Have you tried adding some heat from an LPG bottle to expand the alloy? Then continue the way you have it set up with a persuader and a brass drift. Keep your supports underneath close as possible to the shaft.