• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Minneapolis-Moline Prototype 445 Tractor #X-231

ajs2744TC

Registered
I would go with what's in your heart and budget. I like your 3rd option plan if you have the equipment or connection. I do admit just going all 10a production is easiest and cheapest option 3 seems like best of both avenues. And If your anything like me who's unsatisfactorily dumping tons of cash on a bandaid fix to a problem. You more than likely will have a haunting " if i only had" thought rolling through your brain. Production 10A parts are easy finds! Try option 3 then if it fails go to plan D... And then use the production would be replacements.

JFred

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2014
Excellent videos! I say go with option 3 i believe it was....turn production axles on the lathe and be able to use original 10x bearing caps and hubs. That way the only visible difference to the admirer would be the square keyway. And if you really wanted to, after everything is set and torqued in place and just prior to paint, you could form JB Weld down in the keyway on the outside of the hub to take on the appearance of a round keyway. Once painted no one would be able to tell! Great job!

Squatch253

Registered
Well not much new progress to report on X231, between plowing and shoveling snow there hasn't been a lot of work being done on it. But I did take some time to set myself up to better work on and assemble the ever-growing chassis, plus organize my shop space a little in the process...

Squatch253

Registered
Well I finally got around to deciding what to do about my axle problem - used the one good prototype axle and machined one of the production 445 axles to fit. I don't like it, would much rather have a matching set but this is the best repair I can pull off myself without breaking the bank. Besides, at least now I'll have another prototype/production contrast that I can use in conversation while at a tractor show someday...lol

Squatch253

Registered
So as usual with X231 it's one step forward, two steps back:rant:

My plan today was to get both of the bull gears and axles fully installed in the rear end housing but the old girl had other plans, went to fit the first bull gear up and, well, here's the rest of the story...

JFred

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2014
Excellent videos and very professionally done! Looking forward to the next installment!:salute:

JFred

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2014
Enjoying the progress! It's getting there! A way I have found to work really well for installing seals over splines is the 1.5" wide electrical tape. I just start wrapping from the furthest away point up to the outer end of the shaft overlapping each wrap as you go, that way the oil seal will slip right over the steps between each wrap, and of course you can easily apply grease to the tape to aid in lubrication.

JFred

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2014
I'm really enjoying your videos! It's like a virtual tour through the restoration. I would do as you are leaning towards...making the new one!

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Been playing catch-up on the videos as I kind of lost track of this thread for a while but had to say, I Love The Home-Made Boring Bar for machining the rear housing.

Also had to note a question/concern on Part 27 of the Differential Assembly. You pointed out the Thrust Washers on the "Bull Pinions" while it was all on the bench, but then I Didn't See Them Go In during the Assembly In The Housing at the 5:40-6:15 minute range.

Were they already stuck in the ends of the "Bull Pinions" (and stayed in place while sliding the shaft through) or did they get missed ???

I Hope I Missed Something There (and Not You) but I noticed that in the video and didn't see or hear any mention of them in later posts. . .:eek:

Been Learning a LOT following the process here and looking forward to seeing the rest of the build, right up the "Up & Running" video.

:salute:

---------- Post added at 11:00:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17:53 PM ----------

As for the Shifter Fork question in the last video, I would go with making a new fork along with maybe making a new shaft as well with the detent relocated to engage 3rd gear deeper.

:salute: