• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Model of American La France Steam Fire Engine

Craig DeShong

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/13/2019
I used to see Larry quite a bit when he lived here in the Raleigh area. The last time I stopped by to see him, some time ago, he had put the La France on the shelf and his attention was elsewhere.

Since then Larry has moved out of the area, I think somewhere in Maryland? And I've lost touch with him. I just checked and He hasn't logged in to Smokstak for two years.

Still, I too hope his attention returns to this project. His work is just fantastic an I too would like to see this project finished.

Charlie1925

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/03/2020
Check post 217 and see this project mostly complete, with only the pump to complete, I too hope Larry is still with us, but it dose not sound good , Can only hope for the best. Maybe Harry would know. :)

MarkBillesbach

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/01/2018
It's been almost a year since this post was brought up, but I still am curious as to what became of Larry and his beautiful scale model. Has anyone heard anything about him?

CoalBurner

Registered
Several years ago, I acquired a partially-completed Coles fire engine. Since this item is nearly a basket case, I'm curious about others who may be building one at this time. Hopefully, I may be able to tap into their knowledge of how this thing goes back together. (?)

Neil

Case Place

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
Greetings my fellow model makers. Thank you for your concern about my well being. It has been a rough 5years, but things are settling down and somewhat normal, if there is such a thing. My wife and I left NC 4 years ago this coming Christmas.. we moved to Stuart, VA. We are about 4 miles from our daughter and 2 grandsons. It has been only within the last few weeks that I have become motivated to do any model work. Hence this posting ! Right now, I am finishing up a “Tiny Power” rope engine that my father started a long time ago. I am in the final stages of assembly. Pictures to come soon. Then I plan to get back to the LaFrance project.. Again, thank you all for my concern. Larry

b7100

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Welcome back to the stak. There are a ton of people that would like to see you back on track with the lefrance

Case Place

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
Thank you to all for the welcome back to Stak. The LaFrance project is sitting on the bench with a cover over it. I promised myself to finish up a model that I inherited from my father before I get back to the LaFrance project. It is a Tiny Power Rope Engine. It has been great to get back to my model making.
When we moved to Virginia, I had a 30’x30’ concrete block barn to to put my shop in. It use to be a horse barn. It turned out the area I wanted to use for my shop was the dirt floor area that was the horse stall. I spent a good 6 months pouring concrete, wiring, painting and moving all my machinery from Cary, NC to our new residence in Virginia. The machine shop is 10’x30’. Sounds small, but actually very comfortable for a one man shop.
The first two pictures are of my machine shop. The next two are of the Rope Engine present status.

Attachments

J Dayman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Great to see you back Larry / Case Place. Beautiful rope drive mill engine model. Shop looks great too.

Case Place

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
Many years ago, I purchased a Stuart governor kit to go with the Rope Engine. I figured if it would work on the Stuart twin Victoria, it should handle the Rope Engine. Below is a picture of what I have done thus far. The governor is interesting that it controls two steam inlet valves, one for each cylinder. Mounting two separate valves atop each steam chest, having a common linkage between them and then linked to the governor, should be a nice challenge.

Attachments

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Good To See You Back and At It Again.:cool:

Looking Forward to Many More Posts From You.

:salute:

Case Place

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
Greetings, spent last evening working up one of two throttling valves for the rope engines. A piece of extruded brass came with the governor kit, but it is so large, it just wouldn’t look right. So, I struck out on my own and came up with what see in the pictures. Basically I machinery up 3 pieces of brass and soldered them together, then machined the assembly as if it were a casting. Still need to machine the valve stem gland and nut.

Attachments

Case Place

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
Good evening. First I would like apologize for high jacking my own thread with the Rope Engine. I should have started a new thread for it. Anyway, I finished making all the necessary parts for the engine this evening. Need to order some plumbing fittings and tubing. Meanwhile I will disassemble, paint, polish and generate some clearances where need be. I tend to build tight, then loosen things up at a later date. In the background of picture 2 you can see what I have my sights on for my next project. Yes !! LaFrance here we come.

Attachments

MarkBillesbach

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/01/2018
Welcome back Larry, I missed your work, I've been following the American La France from the start. I can't wait to see both projects completed.

Case Place

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
Greetings, the Rope Engine is finished and running very well. I went from O-ring cord material to cotton string with a square knot to join the ends together for the “belt”. Could not upload a video showing the engine running. In the picture of the Rope Engine you can see some of the LaFrance parts in the background. The LaFrance steam cylinders and pump assembly has been dismantled. The second picture shows a jig I made to assemble the steam cylinders and pump assembly without working in and around the chassis.

Attachments

Case Place

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
Good evening my fellow modelers. I have spent many hours this past week assembling and aligning the steam cylinders, pistons, connecting rods, pump piston yokes, water pump pistons and connecting rods, water pump cylinder block and crank shaft middle support bearing. It all finally came together this evening. The flywheels rotate very nicely. I am very pleased. 😉 As you can see in the pictures, it is quite crowded between the steam engine mounting plate and the top of the pump block. The eccentric mechanism for both steam cylinders still need to fit In amongst all this.
I am planning to work on the steam exhaust manifold next and work my way down towards the eccentrics.

Attachments

CoalBurner

Registered
Larry:

Nice to see you're back on the fire engine project! Your comments and photos regarding the "test stand" for the engine/pump mechanisms are really timely. Several years ago, I acquired a partially completed LaFrance, and wondered just what would be the best setup to assemble those components. I'll use your idea. :) Thanks!

Neil