• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Model Steam Engine -Unknown -What is it?

Nick Severson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/24/2019
Re: Model steam engine -Unknown -What is it?

Marvin Industries (aka MarvInd) Robert Fulton Line.

Unfortunately they are steel boilered and only worth about $50. I have one that is boxed and from memory they were made in Chicago.

You are right about the heater and they did make a fuel fired version that is rarer, but still not valuable... I have only seen 3 with the original aluminum fuel tray and I have 2 of them.

These also came with an oscillating piston/cylinder and they made a vertical (also steel boilered and both engine configurations) in black, grey, or red.

Ohio Farm

Registered

This has a cartrige heater that goes inside a tube in the boiler, take some measurments of the tube, and maybe Frank Cambell at Weedensteam.com would have one that will work in that Robt. Fulton, that is if the steel boiler hasn't rusted out on the inside.

Nick Severson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/24/2019

This has a cartrige heater that goes inside a tube in the boiler, take some measurments of the tube, and maybe Frank Cambell at Weedensteam.com would have one that will work in that Robt. Fulton, that is if the steel boiler hasn't rusted out on the inside.
Heater will cost more than the engine is worth unfortunately...

Solid_Junk

Registered

If the boiler is junk would it be possible to remove the motor parts and use them with a different boiler?

Len Spoelman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/25/2019

Thanks so much for the information and name. Knowing that, I was able to find out more information. Nice video showing horizontal and vertical here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd6zPu5f2IU
The boiler is good on mine. it is missing the whistle. No evidence of a cartridge heater. I was able to run it on air. Ran nice.

Ohio Farm

Registered

I have 4 of these Robt. Fultons, the steel boiler on two were rusted out. I don't think you could use the motor parts for much of anything, however, I used the crank disc off of one to replaced a melted crank disc on a weeden #44. (Yes, I tried to do a solder fix on the crank pin, the lead disc quickly melted...) The cartridge heater is in a tube on the inside of the boiler, as mentioned before, and perhaps one from weedensteam would work.

---------- Post added at 02:30:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29:26 PM ----------

Forgot to mention, Jensen whistle and safety valve will fit the Fultons. Same thread size.