• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Model Steam Plant with a triple expansion engine

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
was found when I wasn’t looking for one :shrug: . I got a long distance call last night from a good friend with a lead, followed it up, and got the return call at 7:30am this morning. Come and look at the “STEAM” model right here in (my) town, 15 minutes down the road. I was told the price is firm. But the price was right ;) , and I didn’t waste any time driving down the road to the location. I got a bit excited when I got my first look :uhoh: at what was being offered. After a bit of :bs: I was asked to make an offer :confused: , I did, the deal was done and delivered to the pickup. Here it is, an unmarked model (no maker name) steam plant on a 36” x 20” board. The boiler is a dual, gas fired (cast iron burner) unit, 8”H x 9” W x 10 ¼” D with a 3” wide x 6” tall stack and a water feed pump. The triple expansion engine with reverse is 8” W x 8”H and has a 2 ½” x 1” flywheel. The second engine is a 2 cylinder with 2-3 ½” x ¾” flywheels 8” W x 8” H. Also included is another pump with an eccentric that operates off the crankshaft. It was a good buy and nice addition to my modest steam engine models that are mostly the “TIN” type. Now all I need to do is identify the maker, clean it up a bit, and with some TLC, maybe, someday run it on steam. I know it works on air.

Any ideas :idea: as to who the steam plant maker could be and or engine maker? I looked around a bit on the internet but didn’t come up with anything yet? THANKS for looking and responding. Paul is sure having fun, even in NJ on the way through.

Attachments

Big Bird

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2018
the triple Looks like a Stuart to me ... see pic below...
the separate twin engine looks to have a homemade crank joining to Stuart singles also...
Very cool set up... we are going to have to start following you around to find some of these deals you are scooping up...

Attachments

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
So far, all the comments say these are Stuart models. The boiler is probably Stuart too, but can't confirm that YET. Big bird - welcome to NJ - leaves are falling and snow is coming :uhoh: , and I'm sure having "FUN" on the way through :D .

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
Paul It doesn't have the Stuart base. Also has more bolts in the valve covers. the twin looks like two singles joined to make a twin. The boiler looks scratch built. All three are very nice pieces. Ron

Gil Garceau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2019
Hi Paul, the triple is a Stuart with a non-original looking base casting. The double may be a pair of early #4 or #7 Stuarts. I dont recognize the boiler but will ask around. I will also check my old Stuart catalogs. Right now on the way home from Kinzers.
Gil

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
Paul what is the length , valve cover to valve cover and height of the triple? Give the dims of the vertical also.Ron

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Ron: The triple is 6"(not 8") high and 8" long with a 2 1/2" x 1" flywheel. The 2 cylinder is 8" high x 8" long with 2 - 3 1/2" x 3/4" flywheels.

Here are a few more pictures of the unidentified boiler. I’m not familiar with this type model steam boiler (looks like the twin drum Stuart #496, 1940-41 era, except much bigger) and am Looking for information on the maker, and how to operate the pictured unit which is 8”H x 9” W x 10 ¼” D with a 3” wide x 6” tall stack, gas fired with a cast iron burner. Thanks for your help-Paul

Attachments

Last edited:

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
Paul My Stuart looks just like the one in Big bird's picture. It is 8" lg. 6" h. not counting the wood base. Gil will have to identify the twin. It is unusual to have the valves on the inside. Ron

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
With help from another model steamer down under, the boiler looks like a "GEORGE BOILER" he has seen that a mate has. So now I'm looking :uhoh: for more information on the "GEORGE BOILER" but nothing has surfaced yet :shrug: .

Attachments

Nick Severson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/24/2019
With help from another model steamer down under, the boiler looks like a "GEORGE BOILER" he has seen that a mate has. So now I'm looking :uhoh: for more information on the "GEORGE BOILER" but nothing has surfaced yet :shrug: .
"George Boiler" is simply the name that the owner, Clinton Taylor has given the boiler. He is known to name engines and boilers after friends and relatives. You can find him on facebook. It looks similar, but doesn't quite look like a match... I have a small Stuart twin drum boiler, did they make a larger one? Might have to dig out my old catalogs...

Gil Garceau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2019
Paul, It is definitely a Stuart Triple. The two engines coupled together, given your measurements, are either Stuart #7 or Bohaboy 1"x 1". Does the bore and stroke appear to be 1"x 1"?

Congrats on a great haul!

Gil

Here is my Bohaboy 1x1. It is 8" tall.

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
I usually try to never give up in getting information and things done :shrug: , so I tried asking STUART MODELS about my find :confused: . I received a quick response to my questions once the email went through :uhoh: . “The boiler I don’t recognize, I can’t find any boilers of this type other than the 495/6 boilers which are a lot smaller than yours, but it is an early plant so it may be an early boiler that we haven’t seen. The engine on the left is an early Stuart Triple engine and the other 2 engines are very early No.7 engines, pre 1920’s with the single sided standard that were only made for a short time before they went to the truncated guide.” STUART MODELS

Just sharing some new found information with folks :uhoh: ,and with the similar patina of the whole setup, I’m quite sure the estimated the age of the Steam Plant to be pre 1920. What a find, right in town :) , even in NJ, just having fun on the way through.

Last edited: