• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Model T Buzz Coil

• Thread starter Benny Mckheean in NC
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Elden DuRand

Re: Model T Buzz Coil-a few more questions

The terminals on a Model T coil are as follow:

- The button closest to the "buzzer" is one end of the primary, either + or -. - The button in the middle (on the same surface as the previous button goes to the spark plug. - The button on the opposite end to the "buzzer" is the other end of the primary, the opposite polarity of the other end of the primary.

It doesn't matter what polarity is connected to the primary.

ALWAYS put a spark gap between the spark plug button and ground (battery -).

If the buzzer doesn't work when you hook up the battery but you get a spark from the battery lead, the buzzer points may be stuck or set too close.

If the buzzer doesn't work when you hook up the battery and you do not get a spark from the battery lead, either the buzzer points are set too "loose", are dirty or the connections from the buzzer aren't making good contact.

If the coil buzzes but you get a very puny spark from the plug contact and the points are arcing a lot, the condenser is bad.

There are two ways to fix this. One is to simply get an old automobile condenser and wire it across the points of the buzzer. Ugly, but it works most times unless the internal condenser is shorted.

To get at the internal condenser, one side panel of the coil will slide out. It may have a small nail or staple holding it in. The coil box is filled with tar and you will have to carefully cook the tar out to get at the old condenser and it's wires. After replacing the condenser, re-melt the tar that was removed and pour it back in.

Hope that helped.

Take care - Elden

B

Benny Mckheean in NC

Marty,look at the picture of a buzz coil on Harry's http://www.old-engine.com/magbuz.htm

M

Marty

Elden & Benny, Thx bunches as you have answered all my questions. I did find the sliding panel on the coil after looking a bit closer and Harrys ignition page is terrificly simple to understand for electrical morons like me. If this coil is good or can make it good, ( of which I see no reason why not unless the coils are actually burned/shorted ) this may very well become a handy source of ignition for those "hard to find" applications or strictly for testing purposes. I've seen an infinate variety of homemade trips being used so it would seem the sky is the limit as far as that goes. Thx again guys.

M

Marty

Re: Model T Buzz Coil- successful testing method !

Benny, I bet you long since tested your coil and now that I got the answers on my coil, I just had to go and test mine. No I did not solder any leads to the post. I GENTLY clamped the coil in the vice and to hold both the spark plug and ground lead to the bottom terminal, ( primary side ) I simply held everything in place using a rubberband. That allowed both my hands to be free, one to hold plug wire against the secondary lead and the other hand to touch + lead to primary side. My coil throws one heck of a blue spark on 12V DC ! This all took less than 60 seconds.

J

John McPherson

Now you are ready to make that fence hot with the buzz coil electric fencer. in:

M

Marty

But first I have to install the fence !

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020

This is what you need. A model "T" coil electric fence conversion. ZZAAPPPPPP . Paul

R

Richard Martz

Hello, I've just picked up my first hit and miss engine a FM Z 11/2 hp. The coil has all screw terminals and are marked B, T and S. Can anyone tell me if this the correct coil, and if so how to wire it. Thanks Harry for this site and to all who use it. My wife thanks you also.

M

Marty

Paul, Where did you get those little clips you have soldered on to the posts? I gotta have !

M

Marty

It would seem to me that the marked terminals are 1... B = buzz,(?)( one side of the primary coil ) 2... T = timer,( the other side of the primary coil ) 3... S = spark, ( output of the secondary coil ) If this assumption is correct, the "B" terminal is for either the + or - terminal of the battery, it doesn't matter which. The "T" terminal connects to the timer, probably mounted on the camshaft but possibly on the flywheel or crankshaft.(if it has a timer on it... if not, you'll have to build one ) The timer determines at what point the spark plug fires. The "S" terminal is for the spark plug obviously. The other terminal of the battery connects to any metal part on the engine. If you want to check the coil, be sure the spark plug base is making a good connection to most any metal part on the engine.

M

Marty

Someone correct me if this is wrong.

T

Tom G

I would say that S = Spark Plug, T = Timer, and B = Battery. So, S would connect to the spark plug, T would connect to the timer on the engine, and B would connect to the positive terminal on the battery. The negative battery terminal would be grounded to the engine.

J

John McPherson

Paul has the more sturdy of version of the Lejay "Ball type fence controller".

If those brackets came from Lejay, no one is going to find any more of them.

J

John McPherson

I forgot to add:

Good way to test them is to make sure you have a good grip on your older brother's bare arm, and then touch the secondary terminal when you get the buzzer set to the point where the mag self sustains itself.

If your brother screams, the coil is good.

(one of the Tesla tricks to demonstrate skin effect)- it works with other mags too.

B

BobRR

Is this a dishpan? BobRR

D

Dale Russell

Paul, Do you know of any plans to make a LeJay fence charger with a Ford Coil??????

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020

Marty: Those small terminal clips can be purchased from Lee Pederson one of Harry's advertisers. He also has the bigger ones for igniter connections. Check his on line catalogue for "FAHNESTOCK" clips under ignition components. Paul

M

Marty

John, Does that "skin effect test" work too on neighbors you don't like? (hee,hee!)

J

John McPherson

Only if they move slow enough to be caught!

Status
Not open for further replies.