• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Model T torque specs?

oldsoldster

Registered
I was once asked a similar question by a customer on the phone at the dealership where I worked. I went out and asked one of the mechanics. His reply was "you grab the Johnson bar and go ugh, ugh,and UGH. It's torqued". It's likely more important to observe the pattern of tightening.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
55 foot pounds is what people are saying nowadays.
The strength of 1 arm is what the service manual says.
1 thing,be sure to clean out the holes the bolts go in.As they will fill up with crap over the years and you won't get it torqued and it will blow a head gasket.
Use air gun,and a bottom tap to clean them out.

Ed Radtke

Registered
The strength of 1 arm is what the service manual says

but that would be with the wrench that came in the tool kit

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
But still, if me and the Hulk were both working on a T and he did half the bolts and I did the other half,mine would not be as tight,regardless of the tool used! And back in those days,men were men, and bolts were scared!

JoeCB

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/28/2019
Considering the millions of Model T's that have had "shade tree' service done over the years , the poor ole' Tin Lizzy would likely be terrified if approached by a guy wielding a foreign instrument like a torque wrench.

Joe B