• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Modern Stirling Engines

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
I recently had a chance to visit a company called Stirling Technology Inc. in Athens, Ohio. The founder of the company has been engineering modern stirling engines since the 1970s and helped design a 5 hp hot air engine to run on rice hulls intended for developing countries (see cutaway machine in the photo below). The company is now producing a home generating unit for supplemental power and heating, i.e., the excess heat from the engine is used for space heating or water heating. The unit mounts on the wall and is about half the size of a dishwasher (photos below). It can use multiple fuels and the company has recently developed a unique gassifing burner for wood pellets.

Attachments

gnucklehead

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Were they kind enough to give you any information on how to go about buying one?

It burns my britches when you click on "purchasing" and get "nothing found" :rant::rant::rant:

But it doesn't surprise me at all...

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
Yes, just contact them for a quote at:

http://stirling-tech.com/

Depends in part on what kind of fuel you want to burn like wood pellets, propane, britches, etc. They are just beginning commercial production of the ThermoGen CHP units which is probably why there's no purchase link yet.

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
Yes, they use a free piston design (no linkages) which was first developed by the late William Beale and the engineers who worked for him, although I'm sure there have been many improvements since then.

Brian.P

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/27/2015
I recently had a chance to visit a company called Stirling Technology Inc. in Athens, Ohio. The founder of the company has been engineering modern stirling engines since the 1970s and helped design a 5 hp hot air engine to run on rice hulls intended for developing countries (see cutaway machine in the photo below). The company is now producing a home generating unit for supplemental power and heating, i.e., the excess heat from the engine is used for space heating or water heating. The unit mounts on the wall and is about half the size of a dishwasher (photos below). It can use multiple fuels and the company has recently developed a unique gassifing burner for wood pellets.
This one looks like it's might be there early design puts out some power
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr6BHVhXPtc

http://bit.ly/2j6ZcvH

Last edited:

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
That's one of the ST-5s from the 1970s--same as I mentioned above and same as in the cutaway (2nd photo above). It was rated at 5 hp but could not achieve that with the primitive burner setup shown in the video.