• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Mogul S/S Scale model and not a Pacific Model Design

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
I took the clutch pulley apart (again :shrug: ) and just played around with it. I measured the inside of the carrier and found it to be 0.005 undersized which is part of the problem. But, I decided to leave it alone. Instead, I made some minor fitting adjustments with the 1/8” drill to the tight through holes, and taking a fine file to some of the tight spots, burrs on the pivot pins, and the shoe hold down screws that were just a wee bit to long, all causing some interference with its operation. I also filed down the mounting shoe pad surfaces “FLAT”, and sanded one of the shoes just a wee bit. After fussing with it a bit, I got the clutch pulley to lockup and release as it should without any major surgery :O to the parts. A bit more fitting :eek: was all it needed. Before putting it all back together I did a bit of paint touch up on it. The paint is dry ;) , and here is it all done off the model, and, mounted on the model showing it in the released and lock up mode.

Attachments

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Here is a short video of the clutch pulley mounted on the running engine spinning true :) . In the off mode the clutch pulley just freewheels :brows: . In the on mode, I can put quite a bit of pressure on the clutch pulley and even stall the engine :eek: . It really looks :uhoh: nicer with the clutch pulley.

Now to find a neat model accessory to run with it that can load the engine down as it is used. Maybe a saw mill, water pump, hay bailer, has to be something interesting…….. and unique……, and I have something in mind. Now, to sketch it out, get some off the shelf or out of the box scrap parts I have around this place I can work with, and make it to the right scale? But, I might change my mind if something shows up.

I’m still looking for a ¼ scale M and E, IHC Famous model engine Mechanics Kit, trucks, truck kit, wheel hubs and clutch pulley mechanics kit for another project I have in mind. If anyone has one hidden away, on the shelf, or in a box someplace, and want to sell it, let me know by sending me a P/M here on Harry's.

Just keeping busy and having fun, even in NJ on the way through. THANKS.

Last edited:

Manorfarmdenton

Registered
The clutch pulley just finishes the engine off nicely. I haven't seen a model one before - was that a kit that you bought Paul? I would be interested in getting one myself. John.

Kevin Kusel

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
Paul now thats nice. Extremely good work. Sam the models are turning out very nice. Thanks for sharing.
KK

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
I did a bit of work on the model on the 13th. :brows: , and found this new :crazy: model battery box at the "FLEA MARKET" to keep some model specific tools in it as well as the battery and coil. Just had to clean it up, modify the engine skid a bit, and mount it. Now I can easily grab the model at both ends and move it around ;). Still looking for the right 12 spoke model IHC wheels, hubs, bolster, etc., and another clutch pulley :uhoh: .

Attachments

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
My skidded model was missing something :confused: so I got busy today and made me some pull rings for it. It was fun doing it with little $’s outlay. I picked up 4-8/32 eye bolts at the Home Depot while wandering around the place looking at pending “Honey Do” projects yesterday. Obviously the wife was with me or I would be looking at other things :shrug: . I looked around for small iron rings but all they had was 2 ½-3”ers. I thought key rings might work, but at $1.98 for 2, or $7.98 for 8 I said “NOT”. They were too big and not really what I wanted anyway. McMaster Carr had what I wanted (10 for around $3.00) and with shipping it would be around $10.00. So, I put on my thinking cap and said why not make your own. I went out to the “WIRE” shed and got me a piece of 1/8” (Flea market) wire, and wrapped it around a ¾” piece of rod like winding a spring. OOP’s, it was too big :( . So I did it again using a ½” piece of rod and it was the scale I wanted. I got out the small bolt cutters and cut me out 4 rings. I bent them a bit to fit into the eye bolts, ground the ends flat, put them in the eye bolts and closed them up. Drilled a few precise holes in the skids and mounted them in place. It’s another nice addition to a nice model :brows: .

Attachments

JimS

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/17/2020
:wave: Like it a lot Paul! Thanks for sharing.
....My "First" model is on the truck! JimS :wave:

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
While at the Coolspring, Pa. show this month (6-2012) I saw the progress on the next design of the Mogul S/S Scale model. I was so excited I never got a photo of the screen cooled model that is being developed :( . All I can say is it will be nice :) . I asked about a portable option. Maybe some day in the future :( .

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Just found :shrug: a picture of a 1/4 scale Mogul Side Shaft "SCREEN COOLED" model :uhoh: . All I can say is :eek: . Do I really need/want one :crazy: . YES

Attachments

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Just in case you missed :uhoh: my model truck build for the Famous/Titan/Mogul models at

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108440 .

Here is my ¼ scale 4HP Mogul S/S on a set of trucks I just finished for it :eek: . No castings were used, and trucks came out quite nice just using materials available at the big box stores :brows: .

ps: No screen cooled models "YET" !!! :shrug:

Attachments

Mick

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
g'day paul
it looks great and would look good sitting next to my all original full base, factory portable 4 hp mogul!
cheers
mick

Attachments

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Mick: Sure would, but it sure looks :uhoh: better at my place :) . Thanks for the picture :brows: .