• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Onan: Monthly exercise timer?

Zephyr7

Registered
A UPS for your Directv box will do wonders for making it more reliable and eliminating weird and unexplained glitches. I’ve used a UPS for years and it is a HUGE help for keeping the box working reliably.

Bill

zuhnc

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Same here. I have UPS's on TV and DVR, and computer. Have to maintain and load test the batteries two or three times a year - I think it is about time to replace mine. Been installed about 4 years now. Keeps power on long enough to start the generator and run the extension cord. ATS is in the works for this year. zuhnc

Zephyr7

Registered
If you have a number of things you want on UPS, it can make sense to use one central UPS and wire it to the locations needing protection. I have a single APC Matrix UPS (5000 VA, which is 3,750w for this unit) in my basement which feeds a small subpanel. I ran circuits from that subpanel to my network stuff, the computer stuff in my office, and all my TVs. I use red receptacles for these circuits to denote that they’re on UPS.

A central unit is often more reliable (they don’t usually fry their batteries, although the Matrix needs to be modified for a lower charging voltage for optimal battery life), and makes for less overall maintenance. I’m very happy with my setup.

Bill

turtmaster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/01/2020
Bill, I have a liebert "upstation" gxt2, if I remember correctly either 1500 or 1800w for that future role, of a central UPS, my biggest gripe about it, is the 48 volt DC bus voltage, I wish it was 24v.

yes I know with 48 volt, less amperage, but I'm not going to use little batteries, I was planning on using, probably group 24 "deep cycle" flooded boat batteries. deep cycle, yeah right, but I suppose it's still a bunch better than a purpose-built SLI battery,
I'd rather get some floor scrubber batteries, but I don't want to spend the money, either way.

But, I can't really complain, Too much (I don't think I'm really allowed to complain, at all whatsoever, at the price I paid), I only paid $20 for the thing!!!, With dead batteries.

Zephyr7

Registered
Turtmaster, I would use 12v SLA batteries, at least 17Ah, which would probably give you around 15-20 minutes of runtime at full load. I’d use higher amp hour batteries of the same type if I wanted more runtime. I don’t care much about runtime here at home because I have a generator. I imagine you have a generator too, this being the ‘Stak and all :)

If you use flooded cells, you need to worry about venting and adjusting the charing voltage of the ups to keep the batteries happy.

Bill

zuhnc

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
I have a 3KW APC rack-mount unit. Main board fried due to design deficiencies. Got a new board, but have yet to reassemble it. Cost me $0.00 intially, and about $100 for the board. 48 each 12v, 9Ah, SLA batteries are the killer price, though. Eventually!! zuhnc

Zephyr7

Registered
I have a 3KW APC rack-mount unit. Main board fried due to design deficiencies. Got a new board, but have yet to reassemble it. Cost me $0.00 intially, and about $100 for the board. 48 each 12v, 9Ah, SLA batteries are the killer price, though. Eventually!! zuhnc
Is that one of their symmetra units? Those have lots of problems and I never recommend them at work, and I actually recommend AGAINST them. You’d be much better off with one of the more basic (and more reliable) SmartUPS units, which are available up to 5kva. The smartups units take 2, 4, or 8 batteries typically, depending on the model.

Bill

zuhnc

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
I think it is a SmartUPS, with an additional rack for two battery "modules". So, a total of three battery "modules". That project is number 18 or 20 on the list! zuhnc

Eric.S

Registered
In the cold season i run a apc smart ups 1000 on my NG CH boiler, with some more battery power.

Recently a 5kVA Benning invertronic s1 jumped into the van, no batteries, some nice features, several running modes, on line , bypass, off line, starts up from batt, 3 voltage sense levels, keeps synchronized up to 15% freq deviation.
Will end up with 6 (or 12, 2 parallel) blocks of 3 gel cells from large floor cleaning machines.
Might end up in a hybrid system with either a ac gen or a dc charger gen.

Zuhnc, the batteries will last a lot longer, most deadly are (fast) deep discharge cycles and to high float charge voltage.

Eric

zuhnc

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Charging is built into the UPS, and I don't know how to change the parameters. But, I won't get around to reassembling it until sometime next year, at the rate my house and barn projects are progressing :crazy:. zuhnc

Zephyr7

Registered
Charging is built into the UPS, and I don't know how to change the parameters. But, I won't get around to reassembling it until sometime next year, at the rate my house and barn projects are progressing :crazy:. zuhnc
There is a fairly simple modification you can make to allow the charge voltage to be adjustable on the smartups upses. I did the modification to my apc matrix ups and it looks like the attached pic when done.

Bill

Attachments