• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Mopar Gurus Needed

Georgia SS

Registered
Hi
not realy related,but years ago i found a complete fender well not grounded from rust and crud, stopped starter relay from working, real head scratcher, don't assume any thing without testing.
Thanks
jimmy

Andy Williams

Registered
maybe this will help. my dad had an old ford truck 74-f100 with a 6cyl. the starter went bad so he just went to one of the local parts store and bought another. put it on and it lasted maybe a week, got another same kind of engagement issues, then another he put washers under the flange to make it better. he finally got one that was right and it lasted for years.
The moral of the story, someone told him always keep the nose part of your old started to put on the new/rebuilt one you install. change the bushing if needed. They said many different applications for the same starter was the problem and yes some of the noses are up to 1/2 to 3/4 longer than others and even shaped different. this was for a ford but mopar could be the same. i have several 60s-70s mopars and never had the problem but i might be lucky.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
i dont know what fixed it, i started it yesterday no problems. ran out of gas and had to crank for a while, no problems.:shrug:

CharlieB

Registered
New starter and new ring gear.
Starter gear and ring gear mesh fine when cold, but not when hot.
Sounds like the gear mesh is too tight, so when things expand, the starter gear can't slide into the ring gear.
No way to check that after starter installation.:mad:
Easiest fix might be to find a way to adjust the starter motor a few thousandths further from the ring gear.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
not a whole lot you can do with a older mopar starter, the ring gear is welded to the torque converter, the torque converter is alingned with the transmission input shaft, the starter bolts to the bell housing and the end of the starter sits in a machined recess in the bell housing.

Wayne 440

Registered
I have probably changed 25 Mopar starters in 1960-80's applications. I have never had to do anything except bolt them in place, no shims, no alignment, no nothing.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
I think I may have found the problem! mopar uses a relay to operate the solenoid. That relay is very senstive to voltage fluctuation! so i have kinda found the problem, now to determine whats causing voltage fluctuation. or if the relay itself is starting to fail.