• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Most Desirable Onan to Acquire

Harry

Administrator
I've recently run onto a 6.5 nh-3cr/16004p for cheap. I'm wondering whether to hold out for something better.

I'd rather have Diesel, simply because the fuel is stable. Power range 4 to 10 Kw. 1800 rpm or less.

I've seen lots of CCK units on here, but what's the best?

Ben Cowan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/07/2019
Harry, What do you have now? CCK's are great but they are heavy. Is your unit for RV use, backup power ? I don't think there is one best unit. Just lots of units to choose from. Do you have propane or natural gas? Everyone seems to have a little different situation. Give us more info and we will help you guess. On the other hand, sometimes Price does have a big impact on what we have. I'd grab it. and then look for the diesel unit you spoke of. Luck, Ben

Harry

Administrator
My current Onan is a BGE Emerald Plus GenSet installed in the motor home. I have the service, installation, operators and parts manuals for it. Full #s: 4BGEFA26100J J910431831 4Kw.

I'm looking for one that's strong enough for running a freezer, full sized fridge and a few other household loads. As I mentioned, with today's ethanol gasoline, Diesel would make a better long-term fuel to store.

The 6.5 nh-3c is available locally, but it looks like it has seen some rough use and storage.

TheToolman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/19/2009
Harry , the 6.5 emerald running 2 roof airs & lights in my tool truck burns 1 gal of gas an hour (at least) so its not cheap in a 10 hr day.

Harry

Administrator
Fuel consumption is certainly something to give extra consideration for determining the most desirable Onan.

Wayne 440

Registered
If you want a diesel, a DJC or DJE would do nicely, or maybe one of the later Kubota powered models. I advise you to buy the 6.5NH now if the price is right, it should serve you well until a suitable diesel set comes along, besides what would you do with a diesel if the only fuel available happens to be gasoline or propane?