• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Most Unique or Oddball Engines

MFaris

Registered
Along the same lines of the "Less than 10" thread from a few years ago, what would you consider the most oddball or unique engine you've seen or know of? To be considered the engine has to have at least one remaining example and have features that would have made it unique even when new. *This would eliminate a slide valve engine from consideration because that was standard technology when it was built; even though it's a very unique design today.

My submission for your consideration is the Rumsey-Williams integral frame engine:

Rich Mueller Sr

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Dad used to tell me about working on Willys Knight engines ,I know not stationary, but automobile, although there where a couple sleeve valve engines made for stationary work , cant remember the name of it at the time. After a little wear to cyl it would use more oil than gasoline, and look like a giant chainsaw engine chugging down the road. The sleeve wasn't stationary it moved up and down and was the valves to ,we missed one by 1 day , we bid on a job, seen it, next day went back ,and ,they had crushed the car with a 955 and buried it ,cat operator was finishing up job as we drove in..edit a Kansas City lighting engine is a weird one to
been seeing prototypes of "newly designed" engines on FB recently of this 120+ yr new design lately to..a 2 piston 1 cyl engine.

Last edited:

Rich Mueller Sr

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Hey Rich! Lets go dig it back up. Did you happen to see the story in GEM on that Stickney engine that was pulled up from being buried in the mud of a river bed? The before and after pictures of that engine are amazing.
We thought of that at the time ,we got the job , but after talking to the 955 Cat operator, he had crushed it and balled it up , and wouldn't have been worth the time digging it up with our backhoe, beyond help. On the 20hp Stickney I met the gentlemen that owns that up at the Gathering of the Sticks at Mt Pleasant Iowa show, very impressive of the metal stitching and work they done to it, to save it!!

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
I have one That I have for about 10 years. It is an Ecko. It has a 10" FW , 26" H. It is one cyl. and one piston with 3 valves. The bottom of the cyl. is the charging cyl. the top is compression and firing. The bottom of the cyl. takes in the mixture , then discharges it to the top of the cyl. then compresses it and fires. When I started to work on it , I found that the timming was so far off , I had to relocate the breaker plate to make it work. I added a gas tank and coil. I had it running! it is so far out of balance that it jumps up and down , you can hardly hold it down. I have never seen another and cannot find any info on it. Ron

Attachments

Ihcguy

Registered
Along the same lines of the "Less than 10" thread from a few years ago, what would you consider the most oddball or unique engine you've seen or know of? To be considered the engine has to have at least one remaining example and have features that would have made it unique even when new. *This would eliminate a slide valve engine from consideration because that was standard technology when it was built; even though it's a very unique design today.

My submission for your consideration is the Rumsey-Williams integral frame engine:

Golden Gates x2

Attachments