• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Most Unique or Oddball Engines

Tom Stockton

Last Subscription Date
01/30/2020
Charlie from OWLS HEAD Museum had this and sold it to Bill Andersen in Virginia quite a few years ago and I believe he may have also disposed of it over the years. I seen this in person a few times and was really nice stuff.. Stuck in SRI LANKA JERRY from NW Ohio..:)
I know that it's been around the block a few times.
Even I almost bought it once.

mechman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/10/2019
Wonder pump & engine co. Vancouver B.C.
Goodday Found this engine in a Trenton ontario scrapyard a few years ago & posted here asking if any others known--no replies,so it will fit in here! From what I have found from Vancouver where it was made is. it was a short time circa 1918-1922 They are mostly aluminum & made for forest fire fighting This one is missing flywheel,ignition system,push rod,carb, water pump & broken rocker arm ANY information is appreciated! Larry

Attachments

mechman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/10/2019
Here is a Mackay free piston engine air compressor made in England-It weights around 2 tons & is self contained two cycle diesel--it uses a large crank to wind a starting spring , the only thing you can see moving is the exhaust turbine that runs the cooling fan for the radiator I think it's circa 1957 from the brochures. I have not tried to start it, seems complete & never been stored outside. Haven't heard of another!Larry

Attachments

J.B. Castagnos

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2006
I got this one running for a friend, had to bore and make an oversized piston, fabricated a piston trip ignitor, it had a Model T timer and sprk plug ignition. Not much info on tnem, I think it was built in Canada by a man named Latour, used in a boat called a log pointer. The video was titled articulating cylinder but it's an oscillating cylinder.

Lee Baldwin

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/17/2020
How about a Unielectric by The Waterman Motor Co. . It is a slide valve 4 cycle engine . Got it about 30 years ago and am working on getting it running . I have mounted it on wheels so it can be moved . It is a 1/2 KW unit , with hand crank and very large cooling cap. Have spoke to people how have heard of them but it seems to stop there . S5032393.JPG

Attachments

skankingiant

Registered
There was only 15 (Too many?) made of the Stuart Turner H1 2 stroke diesel, it has 1 power cylinder and 1 cylinder for scavenging. This is number 15

My little Barr and Stroud is a single sleeve valve built for lifeboat radio communications to meet up and coming legislation, this was later dropped to save the already failing ocean liners, so not many were made.

Last edited: