• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

moving from new england to midwest

twistr71

Registered
anybody know of a trucking company that can drop off a 40ft trailer
to my old place in southern new england, leave it for a week so i can load it
then haul it to the midwest st louis area, then leave it for a week so i can unload it?

my stuff is too heavy for a ryder or uhaul non cdl truck

looked at ABF but way too much $ for just a 20ft box

pythons37

Registered
I doubt you will have much luck. With a real company with insurance and qualified personnel, anyway. How little are you willing to pay to have your stuff hauled 1200 miles and then have the equipment sit for a week?

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
Be careful with fly by night operations. Things somehow disappear between your house and the destination.

78Loadstar

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2018
Company called PODS works like ABF, you might call them and get a price. Never used them, just seen their advertisements.
Dennis

Nick

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/18/2014
I had a similar situation except I moved from MA to NC. All my large and medium engines I moved myself with my large gooseneck trailer and F350. The 30 or so smaller engines plus some machine tools and the mountains of "stuff" I acquired over the years got hauled by ABF with the U-Pack system. You are right, they are expensive. But all of the PODS type companies were no cheaper either. ABF dropped off the empty trailers on time, I put my lock on them and the trailers were picked up promptly and then delivered to my new location on schedule. No complaints with their service. I looked around for quite a while and got several quotes from other moving and storage companies before settling on ABF. Might not be the best choice for you but for me their service was excellent. Would strongly suggest you thoroughly check out whomever you decide to haul your goods. Make sure they are professional and insured. Nothing worse than having that truck drive out of sight with your stuff never to be seen again.

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Pods are just that, pods, only good for household stuff, and not secure imho. Are you needing a 40 ft box, or flat bed? If its heavy stuff you probably need a flat bed, box trailers are a bit iffy when it comes to securing the heavy stuff. Any chance you can speed up the loading/unloading? It might hep.

I'm planning out my big move (escape) for next summer, plan is to prep everything for quick loading, then I head to Nv. A week or 2 later truck arrives at Tx shop, friend loads it all in an afternoon, and truck heads west, day or 2 later I unload it.

Where are you moving to?

twistr71

Registered
i already have a 20 ft shipping box at old house that i was gonna sell
maybe get a 40ft box sell the 20ft and have it shipped to new place(u ship?)
can never have too much storage lol

most of my important stuff i already moved with my truck and trailer
5 trips in my old truck and trailer, wore out suspension on trailer, rebuilding now
1 more trip in the beast to get my tractor and tow behind air compressor

whats left is machine tools(lathe,drill presses,valve grinding machines, and asst tooling and stock), auto/truck/tractor parts(heavy and bulky), my generator collection(heavy), and boxes of asst stuff(bulky) and a 3 motorcycles

will ask around if any of my friends have cdl(a) for truck and trailer rental

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Couple years ago my my brother bought a 40 ft container and loaded it full of stuff, had a hotshot driver pick it up and head for AZ. Trucker made it to tx border and got shut down for not having right license/permits for hauling a container, brother had to get another driver, transfer the container, etc. Not sure of all the details, but it cost him a lot more than he was planning. Make sure your hauler knows what he is doing!

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
^ Yup fly by night guys. A friend of a friend bought a 57 Chevy in the eastern states to ship it here. He contracted a guy with a dualie and trailer on the web. The car was picked up but never seen again.

Rex Wellendorf

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
Hi,
Hide an electronic tracking device (LOJACK) in whatever you put your stuff in. That way you have a pretty good idea where your stuff is at any time. Just my 2¢.
Rex.

Last edited: