• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Multiple Engines For Sale in the Ads

Ben Busfield

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/12/2017
Beth’s 24 may take it under its wing or there may be a hell of a sibling rivalry bigger siblings don’t like little ones that well. Lol but beth could do a road trip an bring it back to Michigan to one of us

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
If all she needs is a crown sheet and I had the extra $18,000, I'd bring her back to MI! I'd also love to see it put back as a roller too! Ray Alber's 16 was converted from a roller.

Running Numbers

Registered
If all she needs is a crown sheet and I had the extra $18,000, I'd bring her back to MI! I'd also love to see it put back as a roller too! Ray Alber's 16 was converted from a roller.
Out of curiosity, what all goes in to do firebox/crown sheet work? Does that involve cutting out the firebox completely or are there ways to work on them... laparoscopically? lol

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Out of curiosity, what all goes in to do firebox/crown sheet work? Does that involve cutting out the firebox completely or are there ways to work on them... laparoscopically? lol
The boiler in question should be a wet-bottom, and probably not a huge firebox door - so laparoscopic surgery might be a good analogy for the guy that has to crawl inside.

It most likely is thin around the fusible plug. Best case is a tiny ring of erosion near the threads, then welding a half coupler is a viable solution. More likely a piece, maybe 6", will need to be cut out; this involves cutting, welding, and stay bolts.

Regardless, just to throw out wild numbers, even a small job takes $1000 just in paperwork and inspection for R-Stamp work. So you want to take care of everything that may need it. If the crown sheet is thin, what about the sides about grate height? Was the bottom ever bulged? How about thinning just above the floor. Had ashes eaten the fireside on the floor or walls? So, it may be easy, or a couple fairly easy things, or it may be "where do we stop the torch?"

On the worst case, you start cutting several places, you get $$$ halfway to a new firebox; if it's somewhat thin all over, that new firebox starts sounding better. But (minus some of the fit-up costs on the barrel; numbers in the thousands as well) a new firebox can get halfway to a new boiler - which then makes more sense if you're at maybe less than 80% [better yet, insert your own number here] on the barrel. Price creep at it's finest! :eek:

Looks can be deceiving, but it looks pretty well taken care of. I'm going to take a real wild guess, just to top off some already questionable numbers I threw out, but assuming the description not excessively optimistic, with it's current price tag: if you inspect it, with a purchase + R-Stamp budget of $25,000 in mind, I'd say there's a good chance you'd be bringing it home. You may find a bargain, or a money sponge; regardless, work if done right - and taking care of everything needed for a desirable pressure - will then be done for a long time with proper care.

Also, I'm not sure what's available around it's current location nor yours, but I can think of several shops that are two years backlogged right now; maybe less though on simple jobs.

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Each boiler shop will have their procedure for the specific needs, but I rather like this route if it requires a new firebox. "Simply" cut the staybolts, cut the rear head off, pull the old one out....put a new one in and re-weld the back head on.

Obviously, there's more to it than that, but you get the idea.

Attachments

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
There are several interesting engine projects in the current listing. For those looking for an Advance Rumely...that one is ready for you stamp. We have some Canadian options too.

Engine Ads are perused by many lurkers. Always a great way to advertise what you have to sell.

Ben Busfield

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/12/2017
did not know the one was in three rivers and I lived in Sturgis for a long time but now have been gone from there wow 10 years could have showed up after I moved..

Frick1909

eMail NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
02/06/2015
Believe the engine came down from the UP. Nice little engine, smooth runner and nice sounding Frick.

Oilpulled

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
From post 306:
"It most likely is thin around the fusible plug. Best case is a tiny ring of erosion near the threads, then welding a half coupler is a viable solution. More likely a piece, maybe 6", will need to be cut out; this involves cutting, welding, and stay bolts."
Why thin there? Because of galvanic action, the more reactive steel is sacrificed rather than the less reactive brass especially at higher temperature. Use an iron or steel plug filled with fuseable alloy, but code says NO. WHY? It's easier to remove a steel plug than to replace thin boiler steel.

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
tractor[1].jpg

I nabbed the image from the humor thread, but I don't think that steel wheels or a smokbox would make the wrapping any more difficult. ;) I just don't quite see it working here, but if it works for you, just send a load of coal, or maybe that scale Sawyer Massey, my way. :D