• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Muncie Gear Co. Neptune OA2 ?

rhb-3

Registered
I was wondering if anyone has information on a Neptune Model OA2 single cylinder boat motor. I seem to only find info beginning with models OB. The serial number is 29582C2

DustyBar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2020
There sure seems to be a shortage of info on these motors. I have an OB2, a twin cylinder from about 1937. The only manufacture date I could come up with was based on the Tillotsen carburetor model. Mine appears to have the same Eisemann magneto used on Maytag motors. I think the magneto coil is weak and prone to failure so treat it carefully by never pulling a spark plug wire and leaving a large spark gap to jump. My motor has no clutch or reverse gear but the magneto has an advance/retard lever. I wonder if reverse was somehow achieved by retarding the spark although the rope start pulley only allows starting in one direction. I think mine is around 2 hp and it runs well.

Attachments

ulgydog56

Registered
a friend of mine had a old single Neptune when I was a kid, the little bugger always ran and good to....:D