• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Murphy Diesel power unit worth anything?

finkey5

Registered
I ran across a six cylinder Murphy Diesel power unit. This thing is huge! It has been outside its whole life, hasn't ran in years and years. Does anyone know if it is worth any more than scrap price? I'd hate to junk such a magnificent machine, but it's gonna be in my way by spring. Thanks to all

ichudov

Registered
Some pictures would be beneficial.

Can you take a huge pipe wrench and somehow try to turn over the engine?

Billy J Shafer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/03/2019
I use to work for a Murphy dealer. Good engine but I don't think they are very common in the USA.

BGunn

Registered
Murphy's were used a lot in cranes and as crusher engines. maybe post over on HCEA, there would probably be more interest considering the applications.

DennisFust

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/06/2015
I bought a me66 murphy diesel out of a junkyard cost me 600.00$. It weighs over 6000 pounds.

John C Walker

Registered
At one time Murphy was thought of as the elite in diesel power. Very tuff and well built, also very heavy, that is why they did not get into the truck side of things. A very good engine worth saving. English made and parts now may be scarce, as said HECA may have some interest.

Ken Majeski

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
I Used to run a Northwest Shovel with a 6 Cylinder Murphy... Got to Love that engine... Big, Heavy and helped hold the back end down... Governor was a Little Lazy but didn't seem to matter with that much enertia. If it was above about 25 degrees when you dropped the compression and the first piston came to the top it was Running on all 6.

If the Exhaust has been covered chances are things aren't too bad but if Not you could have a BIG Boat Anchor... It sure would be worth investigating further...

Zira

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
03/21/2020
This little Murphy was at my local scrap yard a couple weeks ago. Note the V-8 car engine in the foreground for scale. Alas, it is cut up & gone now.

Attachments

Mike Monnier

Hoarder
Last Subscription Date
12/18/2019
This big hoss showed up at our local show in 2009. I think it was used to power a generator.

Attachments

Jim Hilgartner

Registered
Do you still have the Murphy engine I used to work on the engines and would like to restor one to show I have a 4 cyl. I doing now but would really like a 6 cyl. or I would like to find a power take off fore one sow e could at least run a baker fon or dyno thanks Jim Hereford MD

George Renton

Registered
I ran across a six cylinder Murphy Diesel power unit. This thing is huge! It has been outside its whole life, hasn't ran in years and years. Does anyone know if it is worth any more than scrap price? I'd hate to junk such a magnificent machine, but it's gonna be in my way by spring. Thanks to all
When I was a young apprentice at Cummins Ontario I finally had money to buy a car. Someone at work posted a add for a sand
And gravel company that was auctioning off its asset. ( bought a 64 New Yorker $150. Loved that car. This was 1971)
anyway, almost the last thing that went on the block before the auctioneer went to the pit was a huge Murphy mounted on a large
covered wagon. It had a huge belt drum PTO mounted on it. I guy climbed up on the wagon and he appeared to start it.
it was just putting along, and I thought Wow! That huge thing is so quiet ! I could see this drive shaft turning along the side of
the block, so I was convinced it was running. Then the guy through a lever and this monster started belching puffs of black soot
out of the stack one huff and puff at a time, people including myself scrambled to get back from the thing at fallout came raining
down. I was totally in awe of this beast and wished I could own it. Now I’m in my 60’s I’m a lot more cautious of what I wish for.

Mike in NC

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
05/13/2009
This "Mike Murphy" does not, but wishes he did.

I have met the other "Mike Murphy" at R&T years ago. Really nice guy.