• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

My $20 Model T

Chris Props

Registered
Early in November a local auction house had some T stuff come up for sale. I went just to spectate. They got to this chassis and no one bid. The auctioneer got down to $20 so I threw my hand up and ended up taking it home! There were also some transmissions, flywheels, block, head, and other parts that I later found out went to scrap. :faint:

The engine was locked up tight. The only thing that moved was the steering, and someone had removed the keys from the rear wheels so it would roll. Even the pedals were stuck.

The first thing I did was pull the drain plug and about a half gallon of water came out and no oil. I popped off the transmission cover and lower pan. It wasn't pretty inside. What it looks like is someone had done a quick refresh of the engine and never put oil in it or started it. Then it got pushed outside and collected water.

Attachments

Chris Props

Registered
The gas tank had a hitchhiker.

Several of the magnets were extremely weak so I charged them by laying a coil ring on the flywheel and zapped it several times with a welder.

There was nothing wrong with the transmission except for a few cracked clutch plates.

Video to follow...

Attachments

4BadHotrodBrent

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/25/2019
The only things left after the total innilation of the world would be cockroach’s, canned goods and the indestructible Model T! Excellent job! :salute:

Brent

Chris Props

Registered
Cranked it up for the first time yesterday. Lots of fine tuning needed, but its a runner! It'll even start on the mag.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
look up the serial numebrs and see what year the engine is,that is a 26-7 coil box.
The running boards appear to be 26=7
The chassis,going by the running board support irons is mid 1920 back to about 16 or so.
low radiator is 17-mid 23
As I get a chance I will look it over a bit more.

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
That's $5.00 Better than My "T" Body purchase 25-26 years ago for $25.00

Pulled it back off the shelf and sold it for $250.00 11 years ago then a couple months later I got another $750.00 for my "T" Skid-Engine, "TT" Truck Chassis (which I bought for a Grand with a wooden hearse body on it, which I also resold the Hearse body 15 years ago), and other assorted "T" parts I'd collected over the years.

All I have left anymore is a turtle-deck trunk, flattened out hood, 1 running board, and several buzz-coils (which I'm keeping for hit & miss engines).

:salute:

Attachments

Chris Props

Registered
look up the serial numebrs and see what year the engine is,that is a 26-7 coil box.
The running boards appear to be 26=7
The chassis,going by the running board support irons is mid 1920 back to about 16 or so.
low radiator is 17-mid 23
As I get a chance I will look it over a bit more.
The engine is a '20 with a 26-27 hogshead. I think the frame is somewhere around 21-23

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
The engine is a '20 with a 26-27 hogshead. I think the frame is somewhere around 21-23
the 3 rivot hos for each cast iron bracket stopped in mid 20,so it could be a early 21 for sure. alot of that stuff got shuffled at the factory and they would not have trashed a chassis over the holes.Just drill for the newer stamped brackets.
I need to get mine finished so i will feel better about posting pics! It is almost done.
Should be, over 15 years!:eek: in the making.
The Model T is a very tough vehical. It was the first use of Vanadiaum steel here in the US and the parts are tough.
The front axle under my pickup was literaly buried in the side ditch of a backroad and I was walking carrying a road sign and tripped over the kingpin bolt sticking up out of the ground!

Chris Props

Registered
Drove it for the first time yesterday. The coils still need new capacitors and adjustments. That miss should clear up once that is done. I temporarily tied some automotive capacitors across the points until the correct ones come in.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
It is running good! Even though the hoghead is the wrong vintage for that engine,once you drive it,and then drive the correct 1,you will find those wider pedals are A LOT easier to operate. I have found the old roach stomper cowboy boots to be the best shoes to wear driving a T.

As a rule of thumb you adjust the coil points until you get a 1.3 amp draw on each one.
IF you really want the coils A plus working order, send them to Ron Patterson.I think he is in Tennessee. Even if you are driving a running T and you swap to his coils, it is like trading cars. That much difference.

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Nice work Chris !! My Dad, who passed away some year back always talked about his first car, a model T Ford that he bought for $25.00. He and his friend chipped in and pooled their money to buy it. He said they took the back seat out of it and put a small woodstove in there with the pipe coming out the roof for heat in the winter time. He always talked about how you could crawl under it and replace the transmission bands in about 1/2 hour if you were good at it. Your post brings back memories of his love of that car and all the stories that went along with it. Thanks.

Dan Anderson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2019
Great success, you had lots of work to do and got it done. Thanks for sharing with us